MARBLE FALLS — A series of meetings with Mayor John Packer will take on a relaxed tone with the aim of answering questions about policies and projects supported and developing in the city of Marble Falls, officials say.
The first Coffee with the Mayor gathering is 7-8 a.m. Sept. 16 at Numinous Coffee Roasters, 714 RR 1431.
“We have a lot of good things going on in Marble Falls, a lot of things happening,” Packer said. “People have opinions about those things, and we want to be able to sit down and visit with them about them, both the good and the bad.”
Among activities underway or pending in the community are:
• a multimillion-dollar hotel and conference center private-public partnership in Lakeside Park, which has an estimated April 2017 groundbreaking;
• several new businesses planned, including an expanded Bealls store under construction on RR 1431, a new H-E-B grocery store proposed at the site of the current Bealls as well as fast food eateries such as Burger King and Chik Fil-A;
• a proposed Gregg Ranch subdivision at the intersection of U.S. 281 and Texas 71, expected to break ground sometime in 2017.
• Homesteads at Mormon Mill, currently under construction and scheduled to open in 2017, which will feature 70 apartment units just off U.S. 281 on Mormon Mill Road;
• and upgrades underway on the final phase of an approximately $4 million water plant expansion and $2 million in wastewater plant upgrades. Officials recently approved approximately $8 million in bonds to help fund the improvements.
“Quite often, things get out and rumors get out on social media and tend to kind of get blown up, and a lot of times people don’t even have all the information they need to be commenting on them,” Packer said. “Face to face, we can talk about it and follow up with answers they don’t have.”
Officials hope to coax residents to a setting that would promote candid interaction.
“We want to be as transparent as possible. The perception out there, sometimes, is that we’re not,” he said. “This is just another way to make people understand we’re just normal people volunteering our time to try to make Marble Falls better.”
Additional dates for Coffee with the Mayor are Sept. 30, Oct. 14, Oct. 28 and Nov. 4.