MASON — Several Highland Lakes tennis players recently competed in the Dr Pepper Open.
IN PHOTO: Caleb Horne (left) and his father Monte Horne of Hamilton, formerly of Marble Falls, team up in the men’s open doubles at the 2011 Mason Dr Pepper Open. Courtesy photos
• Men’s open singles: Jordan Cornelius lost in the quarterfinals to Michael Endsley of Midland.
• Men’s open doubles: Greg Dyer of Marble Falls played with former Masonite Trey Nesloney to win the title for the third year in a row. Dyer and Nesloney beat former Marble Falls tennis star Monte Horne, now of Hamilton, and his 11-year-old son Caleb Horne in the second round. Other competitors were Jim Cornelius and son Jordan Cornelius, who had a tough draw and lost in the first round.
• Mixed open doubles: Ashley Stallard of Lakeway and Randy Myers of Wimberley beat Charli Kilpatrick and Ricardo Guillen, both of Marble Falls, in a third-set tiebreak in the first round. Sarah Mason Thomas of Buchanan Dam and Austin Priess of Mason lost in the second round. Other players included Monte Horne and his 14-year-old daughter Marissa.
• Women’s open doubles: Ashley Stallard and Sarah Mason Thomas lost to an Abilene team in the second round. Judy Granger of Horseshoe Bay and Charli Kilpatrick of Marble Falls were victors in two of their rounds before losing to a Mason team.
• Men’s 35 doubles: Winners Mark Moran of Marble Falls and Larry Brumfield of Canyon Lake beat two Fredericksburg coaches 7-6, 6-3 to take the title.
• Mixed 35 doubles: Grey Dyer and Denise Frasier of Marble Falls won the division after playing three matches in a round robin.
• Men’s 45 doubles: Ricardo Guillen and Jon Arthur Martinez of Marble Falls beat the tough team of Scott Kilpatrick and Griff Thomas of Buchanan Dam in the semifinals before being bested by Jeff Charlton and Revas Kanak of Marble Falls in the final.
• Mixed 45 doubles: Michele Walker of Burnet and Scott Kilpatrick had to beat the team of Wini Schnars and Jeff Charleton in the semifinals before facing Judy Granger of Horseshoe Bay and Jon Arthur Martinez in a match which is still to be played. Granger and Martinez defeated Cheryl Bicknell of Lampasas and Mike Baird of Pasadena in the semifinals. Jim Hawkins of Horseshoe Bay teamed up with Carrie Rice of Marble Falls to play Bicknell and Baird in the quarterfinals.
• Women’s 45 doubles: Cheryl Bicknell and Carrie Rice won the division. Wini Schnars of Horseshoe Bay and Michele Walker of Burnet reached the quarterfinals. Another team was Nancy Herrington and partner Denise Frasier, both of Marble Falls.
• Men’s 45 singles: Mark Moran reached the semifinals.
• Men’s 55 singles: Stan Rountree of Burnet lost in the semifinals to Kim Connally of Houston.
• Men’s 55 doubles: Winners Dick Hollenbeck of Spicewood and Stan Rountree of Burnet placed first in a round robin.