Enjoy all your local news and sports for less than 5¢ per day.

Subscribe Now

COPPERAS COVE — The weather was much improved Thursday when Faith Academy competed in the Copperas Cove tennis tournament, which had been re-scheduled because of rain.

The later date allowed more players to participate who were previously in winter sports.

Senior Deanna Hoover won the girls singles championship by breezing through the bracket.

She beat Janessa Millers of Copperas Cove 8-4 in the finals.

Sophomore Kristen Lookabaugh beat Justina McFadden of Killeen Shoemaker 8-0 and Alexis Henry of Lampasas 8-1, but fell to Haley English of Robinson 6-2, 6-2 in the semifinals.

Freshman Jonelle Frazier lost her two singles matches.

Winning the girls doubles were senior Taylor Hicks and freshman Nicole Johnson in the A division and senior Melanie Fortenberry and sophomore Eva Noxon in the B division.

The Hicks-Johnson team had a close call in the quarterfinals when they were trailing 3-7 to Copperas Cove.  They won six consecutive games to win the match 9-7.  They defeated Ashley Andrews and Caitlin Horengic of Copperas Cove 8-1 in the finals, giving Hicks her third doubles championship of the season with partners Hoover and Johnson.

Fortenberry and Noxon beat China Spring, 8-2, in their first round and Lampasas, 8-5, followed by Cedar Park Vista Ridge (6-1, 6-1) in the semifinals. In the final match, they split sets against Robinson High School but prevailed in the tiebreak 5-7, 6-3, 10-7 to win the girls doubles championship.

Freshman Keenan Lewis beat Clayton Skinner of China Spring, 8-1, and won his quarterfinals match but lost to Ryan Fulgram of Vista Ridge (1-6, 1-6) in the semifinals.

Meanwhile, senior Travis Michie beat Jacob Vincent of Wagner, 8-0, but lost to John Morgan of Vista Ridge, 1-8, in the quarterfinals.

In boys doubles, senior Nathan Michie and junior Tyler Cantlon and seniors Ryan Johnson and John Bennett both lost opening round matches.  They worked through the consolation bracket and found themselves playing against each other in the finals.

The Johnson-Bennett team prevailed, giving Bennett his first high school medal.

Juniors Trey Cherry and Wyatt Clendennen lost in the semifinals of consolation, 6-8.