Support Community Press

You can show your support of a vibrant and healthy free press by becoming a voluntary subscriber.

Subscribe Now

Inspection finds fire protection issues at Kingsland Community Center

Kingsland Community Center

The Kingsland Municipal Utility District board held off making a final payment on renovations at the Kingsland Convention and Community Center after an inspection revealed 'yellow tag' issues. File photo

The Kingsland Municipal Utility District Board of Directors held off accepting final ownership of the renovated Kingsland Convention and Community Center and making a final payment on it after an inspection turned up “yellow tag” issues at the facility.

During a special board meeting Monday, April 5, Randy Stumberg of MRP Group Senior Architect informed KMUD directors that a recent inspection revealed some concerns.

“A yellow tag means you can use the building, but it needs (attention),” he said.

San Saba Fire Safety Equipment Director David Cox did a walk-through inspection of the community center and noted issues with the fire sprinkler system, the fire alarm system, and the kitchen vent hoods.

Cox found two issues with the fire sprinkler system: the way the sprinklers shoot water in case of a fire and the water pressure. Some of the sprinklers shoot water toward the ceiling as opposed to in multiple directions.

A water pressure test of the sprinkler system determined the pressure dropped to approximately 18 pounds per square inch, when it should be 29 psi.

As for the fire alarm system, Cox noted that the restrooms only have strobe lights but should also have horns as well, according to design.

KMUD officials have also requested two printed copies of owner’s manuals for the fire protection system: one to keep at the community center and one for district offices. The company responsible for installing the fire protection system has only provided digital forms of the owner’s manuals.

The fire safety inspector also noted that the current vent hood for the stovetop range is too small. It was designed for one range, but the community center has two ranges.

Stumberg told the directors they had some options:

  • remove one of the ranges;
  • buy another hood vent;
  • or see if the hood can be modified by bringing in an expert.

Stumberg said what happens next as far as changes or corrections will be between Cox and the fire alarm and sprinkler designers.

The KMUD directors still have a final payment of about $112,000 to the general contractor for a $1.3 million renovation of the community center. During the April 5 meeting, the directors did not authorize making the final payment, nor did they accept final ownership of the building.

In other news, the directors asked staff to fully examine the costs of hiring an employee to clean the KMUD building and the community center as opposed to a cleaning service. 

KMUD Operations and Maintenance Manager Tom Stewart said he and a staff member spent about 9½ hours cleaning the community center after it was recently used by Llano County to administer COVID-19 vaccinations during a clinic. 

The directors want to see how often the community center is rented and how much it brings in to determine whether hiring an employee is justified.     

The directors also approved buying an AED, a newer type of heart defibrillator made for public use. 

jfierro@thepicayune.com