Crews save pets in Granite Shoals house fire caused by smoldering cigarette

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Fire officials believe a cigarette smoldering in a tree stump adjacent to a house might have ignited a fire Jan. 31 in the 1400 block of Kings Hill Drive in Granite Shoals. Staff photo by Connie Swinney

Fire officials believe a cigarette smoldering in a tree stump adjacent to a house might have ignited a fire Jan. 31 in the 1400 block of Kingshill Drive in Granite Shoals. Staff photo by Connie Swinney

GRANITE SHOALS — Fire crews snuffed an apparent accidental fire Jan. 31 that displaced a resident and resulted in a pet rescue, according to Granite Shoals Fire Rescue officials.

The incident happened at about 5:30 p.m. in the 1400 block of Kingshill Drive.

A motorist called in a report of black smoke coming from a house in the neighborhood.

Granite Shoals Fire Rescue responded, extinguished the blaze in about 10 minutes, and soon discovered the cause.

“There was a hollowed-out stump close to the house. Apparently, a cigarette had been put down into the log,” said Granite Shoals Fire Rescue firefighter David Pegues. “The stump caught fire and started the outside of the house on fire.”

A portion of the structure sustained damage.

“It was a two-story house, but on the west side with the single story,” he said. “It was mainly an exterior fire on the wall … the facade of the house, the inside of the bedroom.”

One person inside the home at the time safely evacuated but has had to find another place to live due to the damage.

“There were some pets, two dogs,” Pegues said. “We got them out of the house (to safety).”

Marble Falls Area Volunteer Fire Department assisted the Granite Shoals agency with the fire.

editor@thepicayune.com

One Response to “Crews save pets in Granite Shoals house fire caused by smoldering cigarette”

  1. Elaine Simpson says:

    We are so proud of our First Responders!
    Elaine Simpson
    City Secretary, City of Granite Shoals, TX

Trackbacks/Pingbacks


Leave a Reply

 

Sign Up For Our Newsletter