Enjoy all your local news and sports for less than 5¢ per day.

Subscribe Now


STEPHENVILLE — Erath County authorities are investigating the death of a college student from Llano who might have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Jacey Smathers, 22, who was a Tarleton State University student, was found unresponsive on a bed at about 12:30 p.m. Jan. 31 at a house in the 3800 block of U.S. 67, just outside of Stephenville.

Erath County deputies went to the house after receiving a call from a schoolmate who found Smathers, according to Chief Deputy Heath Crossland.

“When deputies got inside the house, they could smell gas,” Crossland said. “Based on the outward investigation, it appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

“(There were) no obvious signs of foul play,” he added.

The house, which was located in a rural area of the county, was equipped with an external propane tank.

“There were gas appliances in the home,” Crossland said. “(The propane tank) appeared to power the water heater and furnace.”

After firefighters arrived, carbon monoxide levels had dissipated; however, investigators found other clues that appeared to confirm their carbon monoxide suspicion.

“Based off the animals and the situation in which we found her, we suspect it could be carbon monoxide poisoning, but we’re waiting on a medical examiner’s report,” Crossland said. “We’re unsure if there was a leak or what could have caused the carbon monoxide (level). We did not locate a carbon monoxide detector within the home.”

Two dogs in the house — one of which was unresponsive and the other exhibiting a slow response time — were taken to a local veterinarian.

Information about the animals’ condition is pending.

Smathers’ body was taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy.

In Llano, Smathers was known for her love of horses and equine sporting events. She was active in 4-H and junior livestock shows.

She was pursing a degree in nursing at Tarleton State University.

A funeral service is 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 5, at the Llano High School auditorium, 2509 Texas 16 in Llano. Visitation is 4-6 p.m. Feb. 4 at Waldrope-Hatfield-Hawthorne Funeral Home, 307 E. Sandstone in Llano.


In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Jacey Smathers Memorial Scholarship Fund-Tarleton State University, Box T-0260, Stephenville, TX 76402.

3 thoughts on “Llano High School graduate dies by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

  1. They should sell that street sweeper.
    The poloce Dept should have physical training test at least once every 6 are they going to protect me when they can’t even run to the bathroom.
    Quit taking county vehicles to the house.
    Why should we pay there way to work.they don’t drive there personal cars that way(if they have one)
    Last but…. The people that are a pillar of the community,are the reason we will get no were.its a monopoly joke.

    1. Please don’t give up on the goodness of God. Pray to Him; He loves you so much. In spite of the failures of other people, and in spite of our own failures, God still loves us and He cares about our future. Please find a spirit filled church; Ask God to lead you to a strong fellowship where the people believe in being filled with the Spirit of the Living God. Prayer: Dear Lord, please lead Samantha to your dear Son, if you haven’t already. I pray she will receive Jesus Christ as her personal savior if she hasn’t already. Guide her paths as well as the paths of those closest to her. And Holy Father, please protect her from all harm (Psalms 91) In Jesus’s name I pray, amen!

  2. So sorry to hear about this. Condolenses to her loved ones. Rest in peace Jacey.

Comments are closed. moderates all comments. Comments with profanity, violent or discriminatory language, defamatory statements, or threats will not be allowed. The opinions and views expressed here are those of the person commenting and do not necessarily reflect the official position of or Victory Media Marketing.