SUBSCRIBE NOW

Enjoy all your local news and sports for less than 5¢ per day.

Subscribe Now

Tobyville-area house fire displaces elderly couple

Tobyville fire

No was injured, but a house and a mini-van were destroyed during a fire Aug. 16 in the 100 block of Indian Blanket Drive in the Tobyville area.

FROM STAFF REPORTS

TOBYVILLE — A nighttime blaze believed to have originated in a garage destroyed the home of an elderly couple Aug. 16  in the Ancient Oaks Subdivision, according to fire officials.

The fire happened about 10 p.m. in the 100 block of Indian Blanket Trail in the subdivision off Tobyville Road (FM 1980).

“They went into the garage when they were smelling smoke. They opened the door to the garage, and they saw that the flames were in the garage already, and it had penetrated from the garage into the ceiling,” said Chief Mike Phillips of the Marble Falls Area Volunteer Fire Department. “It then moved quickly inside the rest of the home.”

Tobyville fire
No was injured, but a house and a mini-van were destroyed during a fire Aug. 16 in the 100 block of Indian Blanket Drive in the Tobyville area.

The occupants of the house — an elderly couple as well two of their grandchildren and an adult son who were visiting — got out without any injuries, Phillips said.

The Cottonwood Volunteer Fire Department, Granite Shoals Fire Rescue, the Horseshoe Bay Fire Department, Marble Falls Fire Rescue and the Spicewood Area Volunteer Fire Department assisted on the scene, which was cleared about 4 a.m. the next day.

“Water was a challenge. There’s no hydrants. Trying to get trucks from the other departments is a challenge because the other departments are a distance away,” Phillips said. “It takes awhile to get the water started with the trucks available to the fire department.”

Crews concentrated for several hours on containing the blaze with dry conditions surrounding the home on several acres.

“We were more concerned about the embers coming off the structure fire, making it across the field, catching fire and having a wildland fire,” he said.

The cause of the blaze is not considered suspicious, Phillips said. The fire is expected to be investigated by the homeowner’s insurance company.

editor@thepicayune.com

1 thought on “Tobyville-area house fire displaces elderly couple

  1. There has been a fund set up to help my parents. http://www.gofundme.com/fk2txfvk
    My dad is 86 and a retired Marine and Army Vet, and my mom will be 82 this year. They lost everything. If you could share the link it would be appreciated.

Comments are closed.

DailyTrib.com moderates all comments. Comments with profanity, violent or discriminatory language, defamatory statements, or threats will not be allowed. The opinions and views expressed here are those of the person commenting and do not necessarily reflect the official position of DailyTrib.com or Victory Media Marketing.