BURNET — Enjoy the cooler fall weather outdoors at Inks Lake State Park in October.
The park is offering a bat and owl prowl and pumpkin painting this month along with its normal activities.
Inks Lake is located at 3630 Park Road 4. Entrance fees are $6 for ages 13 and older; $3 for Texas residents 65 and older; and free for ages 12 and younger.
Visitors can also bird watch at the park’s new blind, located across the lake. A grand opening is 10 a.m. Oct. 7. Refreshments will be provided.
- Fishing with a Ranger, 5-6 p.m. Fridays. Learn the basics of fishing for free (plus entrance fees.) Meet behind the park store.
- Night Sky Party for stargazers, 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays (weather permitting.) Cost is $10 plus entrance fees. Meet near the playground in front of Chris’ Landing.
- Pumpkin painting party, 3 p.m. Oct. 31. Mini-pumpkins will be provided for painting.
- Geocaching 101 workshop, 10 a.m. Oct. 11. Learn about modern-day “treasure” hunting using GPS technology. Cost is $3 plus entrance fees. Meet behind the park store. Wear closed-toe shoes and bring water for hiking.
- Junior Ranger Adventure, 1-2 p.m. Oct. 11 and 25. Take a hour-long hike to Stumpy Hollow and learn about conservation. All ages welcome. Program is free with entrance fees. Meet at Pecan Flats trailhead next to the park headquarters.
- Bat and owl prowl with a moonrise hike, 7 p.m. Oct. 11. Go on a mile-long hike at twilight to look kfor bats and then watch the moon rise. Hike is free with entrance fees.
- Hike the Hill Country, 10 a.m. Oct. 11 and 25. Hike with a Master Naturalist up and down rocky outcroppings with views of the lake and Hoover Valley. Bring water and food. Hike is free with entrance fees.
- Stumpy Hollow hike, 10 a.m. Oct. 4 and 18. Hike with a Master Naturalist to Stumpy Hollow and learn about animal habitats and vegetation. Hike is free with entrance fees. Meet at Pecan Flats trailhead.
Lake activities include:
- Devil’s Waterhole canoe tour, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 18 (weather permitting.) Learn canoe basics followed by a guided tour to Devil’s Waterhole. Wear swim clothing and water shoes. Pre-registration is required. Cost is $12 for adults and $10 for senior citizens and children plus entrance fees.
- Kayaking into the Sunset, 6-7:30 p.m. Fridays starting Oct. 10. Enjoy the sunset in a kayak. Park provides kayaks and paddles. If you bring your own, it must have a working 360-degree light. Bring water and waterproof cameras. Program is $10 plus entrance fees.
- Moonlight paddle (during a full moon) is 7-9 p.m. Oct. 4; twilight paddle (non-full moon) is 7-9 p.m. Oct. 25. For ages 15 and older. Cost is $15 a person. Life jackets are provided. Wear water shoes and bring water and a flashlight.
Call the park headquarters at (512) 793-2223 to register for programs. Call park interpreters at (512) 793-4689 for more information about the programs.