MARBLE FALLS — High school football players won’t be the only ones going through fall training in August.
Youth football associations across the Highland Lakes are gearing up for the start of their seasons, too. Some are still accepting players for the 2014 season, and at least one has already handed out uniforms.
Here is a list of associations:
• Marble Falls Youth Football Association – Accepting only 5- and 6-year-old players and 7-year-olds who have never played tackle football but want to participate in flag football. Cost is $100 and includes game-day jerseys, two T-shirts and shorts. Home games are played at Pony Stadium, for which the association pays a usage fee to Marble Falls Independent School District. The fee covers some of the paint on Roy Woerner Field and the pay for the MFISD custodians who clean it. The Mustangs play in the Mid-Tex Youth Football League.
• Kingsland Youth Football/Cheer Association – Cost is $125 for tackle football, $75 for flag football. Fee covers everything except cleats and game pants. The association takes up to 30 players per squad. Deadline to register is Aug. 1. Go to www.eteamz.com/kingslandyouthfootballcheerassociation to sign up.
• Burnet Bulldogs Tackle Football – First- and second-graders will play eight-man football. President Bobby Shirley said the goal is to have between 20 and 22 players on the third- and fourth-grade team and the fifth- and sixth-grade squad. If the league gets about 34 players on each team, officials would enter two squads in each division.
The reason is simple. “Our goal is child development,” Shirley said, adding officials want players to fall in love with the sport and continue to play as middle school and high school athletes.
Cost is $100, which covers the cost of all pads and uniforms except for the cleats. Go to www.facebook.com/burnettacklefootball for more information
• Llano Youth Football – Cost is $125 for tackle football, $75 for flag football. Fee includes all equipment and uniforms, and players are allowed to keep their jerseys. The association will have an equipment fitting July 29 at Llano High School Gym, 2509 Texas 16 South. To sign up, stop by the Arrowhead Bank, 108 W. Sandstone St. in Llano. For more information, contact vice president Jeff Kuykendall at firstname.lastname@example.org or (325) 247-5741.
• Johnson City Youth Football – Cost is $95 for tackle football. Players for the fifth- and sixth-grade team are needed. Contact officer Jesse Mize at email@example.com for more information.