JENNIFER FIERRO • PICAYUNE STAFF
MARBLE FALLS — Young athletes have numerous opportunities to improve their skills in various sports thanks to summer camps across Burnet and Llano counties.
One of the bigger camps is the Todd Dodge Quarterback and Receiver Camp conducted by Marble Falls High School head coach and athletic director Todd Dodge.
The camp is June 17-20 at Mustang Stadium, 2101 Mustang Drive. Incoming fifth- through eighth-graders play 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., and incoming ninth- through 12th-graders take to the field 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cost is $180.
“It just so happens this quarterback-receivers camp is one I’ve had going on for 21 years,” he said. “We’ve had great players who’ve come to it and gone on to the next level.”
Some of those athletes include NFL quarterbacks Chase Daniel, Greg McElroy and Christian Ponder.
When Dodge moved the camp to Marble Falls last year, it drew 175 players. Dodge said there’s no reason to believe it won’t draw 200 athletes this year, especially since he has a 10-to-1 players-to-coach ratio and athletes from the same school work together throughout the camp.
“I’ve got kids from the state of Washington signed up. I’ve got kids from the state of Florida already that’ll be coming to Marble Falls, traveling all the way from those faraway places to come to this camp,” he said. “It’s very affordable when you talk about being able to stay right here in town. If a parent sends his son to my camp, there’s not going to be much standing around going on. They’re going to get worked, they’re going to get better. And we’re going to see to that.”
For more information go to www.ToddDodogeFootballCamp.com.
HIGHLAND LAKES ATHLETIC CAMPS
• Jerry English Girls Final Four Basketball Camp, June 3-6 and July 22-25. High school athletes, 9 a.m.-noon, $80; middle school students, 1-3 p.m., $60. All at The Fire Pit at Faith Academy, three miles west of Marble Falls off RR 1431. For more information contact English at (512) 755-2794 or email@example.com.
• Lady Mustang Volleyball Camps, June 3-6, incoming third- through fifth-graders, 8:30-11:30 a.m., $60; incoming sixth- through eighth-graders, 1-4 p.m., $60. July 31-Aug. 2, incoming ninth- through 12th-graders, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. $75. All at Marble Falls Middle School, 1511 Pony Circle Drive. For more information, contact head coach Julie Downs at (512) 497-3967 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mustang Baseball Camp, June 5-7 from 9 a.m.-noon for ages 6-14, $50 at Scearce Field, 2101 Mustang Drive. For more information contact head coach J.T. Blair at (214) 437-4525 or email@example.com.
• Performance Course, a summer strength and conditioning program, at Marble Falls High School, 2101 Mustang Drive. Boys in 10th- through 12th grade June 10-Aug. 1 from 7-8:30 a.m., $220. June 17-Aug. 1. girls in the sixth- through 12th grades from 9-10:30 a.m., boys in sixth through ninth grades from 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m., and students in the sixth through 12th grades from 6-7:30 p.m. Cost for the program is $215.
• Marble Falls Boys Basketball Camp, June 10-12 from 9 a.m.-noon for incoming second through ninth-graders at Max Copeland Gym, 2101 Mustang Drive, $65. For more information contact head coach Neil Laminack at (830) 693-4375 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Burnet Lady Dawg Basketball Camp, June 10-12 from 8:30-11:30 a.m. for incoming first- through fifth-graders; 12:30-3:30 p.m. for incoming sixth- through ninth-graders, $45, at Burnet Middle School, 1401 N. Main St. For more information contact head coach Mike Cavender at (512) 756-6793 or (512) 755-5373.
• Burnet Bulldog Basketball Camp, June 10-12 from 8:30-11:30 for grades Kindergarten through fifth grade and 1-3 p.m. for grades sixth through ninth, $45, at The Doghouse at Burnet High School, 1000 The Green Mile. For more information contact head coach Roy Kiser at (512) 715-5438 or (512) 756-0725.
• Faith Academy Football Camp, June 10-12 from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for incoming fifth- through ninth-graders, $45, at the Faith Academy football field, three miles east of Marble Falls off RR 1431. For more information contact head coach Russ Roberts at email@example.com.
• 13th annual Burnet Bulldog Football Camp, June 17-19 from 8-9:30 a.m. for incoming second- through fourth-graders, 9:30-11 a.m. for incoming fifth- through seventh-graders, and 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for incoming eighth- and ninth-graders, $50, at Burnet High School practice fields, 1000 The Green Mile. For more contact assistant coach Doug Wilson at (512) 909-4656.
• Burnet Bulldog Baseball Camp, June 24-26, 8-10 a.m. for Kindergarten through fifth grade and 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for grades six through nine, $45, at Bulldog Diamonds Baseball Field on the Burnet High School campus, 1000 The Green Mile. For more information contact head coach Tim Perkins at (254) 640-1710 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or assistant coach Jose Sierra at (830) 660-5147 or at email@example.com.
• Jacket Basketball Boys Youth Camp, July 10-12 at 9 a.m-noon for incoming seventh- through ninth graders at Llano High School, 2509 S. Highway 16; 1-4 p.m. for incoming third through sixth-graders at Packsaddle Elementary School, 150 Pioneer in Kingsland, $40. For more information contact head coach Aidan Callahan at (325) 248-2200 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Burnet High School Mini Cheer Camp, July 15-17 from 9 a.m.-noon for Kindergarten through sixth grade, $40, at Burnet High School, 1000 The Green Mile. For more information contact Holly Raiford (512) 756-6193 ext. 2473 or email@example.com.
• Marble Falls Lady Mustang Summer Basketball Camp, July 29-Aug. 1, incoming first through fourth-graders, 10 a.m.-noon; incoming fifth- through eighth-graders, 1-3 p.m.; incoming ninth- through 12th-graders, 3-5 p.m., $40, all at Max Copeland Gym, 2101 Mustang Drive. For more information contact head coach Chris Jost at (409) 670-5278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Marble Falls Mustang Football Camp, Aug 5-7, 8-11 a.m., for incoming second through ninth-graders at Marble Falls High School practice fields, 2101 Mustang Drive, $50. For more information contact the athletic office at (830) 798-8345.