Pre-order Willie Nelson tribute album recorded at Spicewood ranch
Several musical greats got together for a tribute album to one of the greatest: Willie Nelson, who is arguably the Highland Lakes area’s most famous resident. “One Night in Texas: The Next Waltz’s Tribute to the Red Headed Stranger” was recorded in May 2022 during Nelson’s 89th birthday celebration at his Luck Ranch in Spicewood.
The album is available for pre-order on Friday, Feb. 17, according to a media release. It will be out on April 28, one day before Nelson’s 90th birthday.
Produced by Bruce Robison, another influential Texas singer-songwriter, the album includes Nelson hits performed by Sheryl Crow, Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and more.
“To put together a night of Willie Nelson music was a dream for me,” said Robison in the media release. “His music has always been a part of my life, guiding me like the North Star. “It’s the soundtrack to living in Texas.”
- “Pancho and Lefty,” performed by Earle, who’s been singing the Townes Van Zandt-written classic for most of his career;
- a bluesy rendition of “Night Life” by Crow;
- “Crazy” and “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” from Nathaniel Rateliff;
- a version of “Shotgun Willie” by Margo Price, channeling Dolly Parton;
- drinking songs “Bloody Mary Morning,” “I Gotta Get Drunk,” and “Whiskey River,” delivered by Vincent Neil Emerson, Shinyribs, and Hubbard, respectively;
- “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys,” also by Shinyribs;
- “Pick Up the Tempo,” performed by Keen;
- “Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning” and “(How Will I Know) I’m Falling In Love Again” from Robison;
- “Down Yonder” from pianist Emily Gimble with a nod to Nelson’s sister Bobbie, who died on March 10, 2022;
- and, wrapping it up, “The Party’s Over” from Matt Houck.
You can preorder “One Night in Texas” starting Friday at TheNextWaltz.com and all digital music platforms.