Students receive treatment after YMCA chlorine overexposure

FROM STAFF REPORTS

BURNET — Emergency workers treated about a dozen Burnet Consolidated Independent School District students at the YMCA facility after a malfunction at the pool released too much chlorine into the water, officials say. 

The incident happened about 7 a.m. April 27 at the YMCA of the Highland Lakes at Galloway-Hammond, 1601 Water St. (U.S. 281).

The kids were participating in swimming activities at the time of the incident.

“There was a little more chlorine emitted into the area than usual,” said Cori Risener, vice president of Financial Development and Marketing for the YMCA of Greater Williamson County.

Half of the 24 middle school students complained of feeling unwell and received treatment either by EMS personnel and/or area hospitals, officials said.

“We did close the pool for a few hours this morning to check it out,” Risener said. “(The students) were checked out, released and everything’s good now.”

editor@thepicayune.com

1 thought on “Students receive treatment after YMCA chlorine overexposure

  1. I lived on the Chemical Coast of Texas for 30 years and am extremely allergic to the smell of anything chlorine. I remember the many times when we were on alert to evacuate because of a spill from the Dow Plant. Our neighbor who worked in the plant lost a lung because of a spill. He phoned me that day and warned me to leave home immediately before the fumes got to our area. The highway was often barricaded because of spills. love to swim but can’t in a pool because of the chlorine. My best wishes for those in the event at the YMCA and hope that they will be okay in the future and not permanently harmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *