Family loses home and pets in Granite Shoals blaze

FROM STAFF REPORTS

A man and a female family member were displaced Dec. 21 after a fire, believed to have started on a kitchen stove, destroyed their home in the 200 block of north Forest Drive in Granite Shoals.

A man and a female family member were displaced Dec. 21 after a fire, believed to have started on a kitchen stove, destroyed their home in the 200 block of north Forest Drive in Granite Shoals. Courtesy photo

GRANITE SHOALS — Grease on a stove top might have ignited a fire that destroyed a manufactured home and killed several pets Dec. 21, according to Granite Shoals fire officials.

The incident happened at 6:27 p.m. that day at a home in the 200 block of north Forest Drive.

“The kitchen area is where it started. The occupant said he was cooking. He noticed there was grease on the kitchen stove,” Granite Shoals Fire Chief Austin Stanphill said. “He left the room, came back, and it was completely on fire.”

The man, a retiree, was the only one home at the time, according to the report.

“He was able to make it out of the home. He was transported to the local ER for evaluation with non-life-threatening injuries,” Stanphill said.

Another adult, a female family member, was not at home at the time.

Several pets died in the blaze.

“There were some animals in the house. They were caged in the structure,” Stanphill said. “There were five ferrets, three dogs and two birds that were lost in the fire.”

However, fire crews managed to either find or rescue three dogs and a cat.

“It was an older mobile home that had an add-on. Immediate actions were taken to keep the fire from spreading to nearby structures (carports),” he said. “The (mobile) home was a complete loss.”

Friends and family offered housing for the fire victims, and fire officials contacted the American Red Cross and Texas Firewalkers, a nonprofit group that specializes in fire disaster relief, to help the family.

Agencies that assisted the Granite Shoals Fire Department were the Granite Shoals Police Department, Marble Falls Fire Rescue, the Marble Falls Area Volunteer Fire Department, the Marble Falls Area EMS and the Horseshoe Bay Fire Department.

editor@thepicayune.com

Leave a Reply

 

Current Edition

The Picayune Magazine Current Edition
Sign Up for The Daily news email

Receive Breaking news and the bestof DailyTrib.com Direct to your inbox