Support Community Press

You can show your support of a vibrant and healthy free press by becoming a voluntary subscriber.

Subscribe Now

Plug from air conditioner blamed for travel trailer fire near Bertram

FROM STAFF REPORTS

BERTRAM —  Fire officials say a plug connected to an air-conditioning unit might have ignited a fire that destroyed a travel trailer on a property on CR 304.

The incident was reported at 3:11 p.m. Nov. 23 in the 1900 block of CR 304 near Bertram.

Bertram Volunteer Fire Chief Bobby Huffstuttler, the fire marshal for Emergency Services District No. 4, said there was a single occupant in the trailer when the fire started.

“He had walked into the room and noticed that the couch was smoking,” he said. “There was an air conditioner plugged in. Eyewitnesses say the plug on the cord set the couch on fire.”

Officials say two teens lived in the trailer, which was “destroyed,” on a property adjacent to another residence.

“They lost one puppy and two or three more cats,” Huffstuttler said. “We were able to rescue one of the cats.”

The Bertram agency was assisted by the Burnet Volunteer Fire Department.

“It was a total loss when we got there,” he said. “This is going to be ruled an accidental fire.”

editor@thepicayune.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *