JENNIFER FIERRO • PICAYUNE STAFF
BURNET — The Bluebonnet Festival is about to bloom for the 32nd year, and it needs a little help from volunteers to be at its best.
“If you have a little bit of time, we’ll take it,” said Bluebonnet Festival chairwoman Suzanne Brown.
The festival features live music, pet and and grand parades, a pageant, 5K and 10K runs, and volunteers can choose which event they’d like to work, Brown said.
Typically, volunteers give 1-2 hours on Bluebonnet Festival weekend, which is April 10-12.
“We just really appreciate your time and effort,” Brown said.
And they’ll receive a green volunteer shirt for their service, she added.
“Even though it’s work, it’s a lot of fun,” Brown said with a smile. “We enjoy what we do.”
Festival committee members and volunteers work with different groups of the city of Burnet to put on an event of this size. That’s another positive of the festival, Brown said. It brings people together for a common goal who might not ever meet otherwise.
The Bluebonnet Festival includes more than 25 events.
Various food vendors, a bicycle decorating contest, a birding and wildflower show, a car show and live performances give people a wide variety of activities from which to choose.
For Brown, the festival allows families, friends and neighbors to grow closer together. And that’s the draw of the festival, she said, which is why she continues to chair the event.
“There’s really something for everyone at the Bluebonnet Festival,” Brown said.
BLUEBONNET FESTIVAL SCHEDULE
(Go to bluebonnetfestival.org for a full schedule)
- 2-6 p.m. — arts and crafts vendors
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. — KBEY 103.9 FM Radio Picayune live broadcast
- 5-11 p.m. Mighty Thomas Carnival
- 5:30-6 p.m. — opening ceremonies with Highland Lakes Commemorative Air Force Squadron flyover
- 6 p.m. — pet parade
- 7 p.m. — Miss Burnet Bluebonnet Scholarship Pageant
- 8-10 p.m. — live music and street dance
- 9 a.m.-6 p.m. — arts and crafts vendors
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. — car show
- 9:30 a.m. — children’s activities
- 10 a.m. — children’s bluebonnet bicycle decorating contest
- 10:30 a.m. — Hill Country Flyer arrives (departs at 3 p.m.)
- 11 a.m. — grand parade
- 11 a.m.-11 p.m. — Mighty Thomas Carnival
- 12:30 p.m. — Rubber Ducky Race
- 12:30 p.m. until close — Live music with headliner Reckless Kelly taking the stage at 9:45 p.m.
- 2:15 p.m. — Burnet Gunfighters shootout
- 8 a.m.-2 p.m. — cowboy breakfast
- 10 a.m.-noon — contemporary worship
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. — arts and crafts vendors
- noon-5 p.m. — Mighty Thomas Carnival
- noon-1:30 p.m. — doghouse races
- noon-2:15 p.m. — live music
- 1-4 p.m. — wiener dog races