FROM STAFF REPORTS
ARLINGTON— The Marble Falls Independent School District Special Olympics delegation enjoyed the cheers of the crowd May 23-24 during the 45th annual Texas Special Olympics Summer Games at the University of Texas-Arlington.
And they also enjoyed the podium, a lot, as they won quite a collection of medals, including six golds.
The accolades include:
- Jairo Ortiz, second in ball throw and second in wheelchair race
- Kim Morrow, first in ball throw and fourth in the 50-meter run
- Karena Rios, fourth in softball throw and third in the 100-meter dash
- Mike Thixton, third in shot put and sixth in 100-meter dash
- Jacob Phillips, first in shot put and third in 100-meter dash
- Trevor Phillips, sixth in mini-javelin throw and first in 100-meter dash
- Andrew Phillips, fourth in softball throw and seventh in 100-meter dash
- Jonathan Estrada, third in mini-javelin and fourth in 100-meter dash
- Debra Wolffe, first in softball throw and third in 50-meter run
- Soccoro De La Hoya, second in softball throw and second in 50-meter run
- Chevaz McHenry, second in mini-javelin and third in 200-meter run
- Briant Atkinson, first in running long jump and third in 200-meter run
The 4×100-meter relay team earned a gold medal as well. The team consists of Jonathan Estrada, Trevor Phillips, Andrew Phillips and Briant Atkinson.
“It was a great weekend for our Special Olympics team,” said coach and head of delegation Devin Vicars.
The student-athletes compete in several sports throughout the year including bowling, swimming, basketball and track and field. Go to www.sotx.org for more information on the Special Olympics.