Even if you don’t own a boat, you can still get out on the water and blast those winter blues away with some Highland Lakes fresh air and sunshine. Several area businesses rent everything from kayaks to ski boats to house boats. (Even if it’s cold today, give it another 24 hours and it’ll be boating weather again!)
ON LAKE BUCHANAN
• Painted Sky Inn, 1400 CR 128 in Burnet — A newly modernized Highland Lakes get-a-way located on the eastern shore of Lake Buchanan, Painted Sky Inn offers non-motorized watercraft rentals including stand-up paddle boards, fishing and recreational kayaks, canoes and accessories. Paddle boarding and windsurfing classes are offered by appointment. Call (512) 715-9896 or visit www.paintedskyinn.com.
• Thunderbird Resort, 200 Greenwood Hills Trail in Burnet — A family-owned and operated business with overnight lodging and numerous watercraft available for rent including canoes, kayaks, paddle boats pontoon and deck boats. Call (512) 756-4878.
ON LAKE LBJ
• El Rio Boat Rentals, 14757 RR 1431 in Kingsland — Offers several styles of watercraft for rent including Sea-Doos, pontoon boats and a 20-foot ski boat. El Rio sells gas dockside, with a nearby convenience store for all your needs. Call (325) 388-3376 or (512) 755-1118. Or visit online at www.elrioboatrentals.net.
• Lake LBJ Yacht Club and Marina, 200 S. Wirtz Dam Road in Horseshoe Bay — A one-stop shop for Highland Lakes fun, with dining at the Granite Beach Grill and rental cottages. Several styles of watercraft available for rent. Call (830) 693-9172 or visit www.lakelbjmarina.com.
• Log Country Cove, 617 Log Country Cove in Burnet — Makes for a great getaway with log cabins and several styles of watercraft for rent, from ski and wakeboard boats to pontoons. It also has personal watercraft, canoes, pedal boats and agua cycles. Call (512) 756-9132 or visit www.logcountrycove.com.
• Lake LBJ Resort & Marina, 667 Sandy Mountain Drive in Sunrise Beach — Located near the mouth of Sandy Creek on Lake LBJ, this is a great place for a lakeside adventure. The marina has several boats and personal watercraft for rent, including pontoon boats, runabouts, personal watercraft and ski boats. You can even rent tubes, water skis and wake boards. Call (325) 388-9393 or visit www.lakelbjfun.com.
• Splash Rentals, 1924 RR 1431 in Kingsland — Lives up to its name with a full line of watercraft for rent. You can select from personal watercraft, ski boats or pontoon boats. The Bayliner and Larson boats include wakeboard towers. Though it’s located in Kingsland, the Splash staff will deliver and launch on lakes LBJ, Buchanan, Inks and Marble Falls. Call (325) 388-5000 or visit www.splashboatrentals.com.
ON LAKE TRAVIS
• Briarcliff Marina, 406 Sleat Drive in Briarcliff — Rents pontoon boats, personal watercraft and ski boats. It also has a stocked ship’s store for all your boating needs as well as close-in parking and a fuel dock. Call (512) 264-2666 or visit www.briarcliffmarina.com.