Hit a hole-in-one at a Hill Country golf course
When it comes to golf, few places provide what the Highland Lakes offers – great greens, challenging holes and water from almost any angle. The Highland Lakes are world-famous for beautiful golf courses. Play these and leave feeling like a pro — or at least enjoy the view from the bunker.
• Blue Lake Golf Club: This semi-private course, rated among the best nine-hole courses in Texas, offers beautiful views of the lake and is recognized by the National Audubon Society. Visit www.bluelakegolf.com, call (830) 598-5524 or email email@example.com. Located at 214 W. Bluebonnet Road off RR 2831 in Llano County.
• Delaware Springs Municipal Golf Course: This 18-hole championship public golf course offers a pro shop, driving range, putting green, snack bar and dining room. Be sure to check out the 17th hole — named one of the “1001 Golf Holes You Must Play Before You Die” by golf writer Jeff Barr. Also named one of Golf Digest’s “Best Places to Play.” Visit www.delawaresprings.com or call (512) 756-8471. Located at 600 Delaware Springs Blvd. in Burnet.
• Hancock Park Golf Course: Owned and operated by the city of Lampasas, this course features a natural creek winding through 18 holes that requires golfers to loft shots back and forth across the water. Visit www.cityoflampasas.com or call (512) 556-3202. Located at 237 Naruna Road in Lampasas.
• Hidden Falls Golf Club: In Meadowlakes — just down the street from Marble Falls — this championship 18-hole golf course also features six tennis courts, a swimming pool and a full-service restaurant and bar. Visit www.hiddenfallsgolf.com or call (830) 693-3300. Located at 220 Meadowlakes Drive in Meadowlakes.
• Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Golf Course: Make a lot of birdies at Lady Bird’s 18-hole, par-72, 6, 432-yard championship golf course. Visit www.golffredericksburg.com or call (830) 997-4010 or toll-free at (800) 950-8147. Located at 341 Golfers Loop in Fredericksburg.
• Legends on Lake LBJ: This 18-hole semi-private course offers a challenging design by Austin golf legend Tom Kite. Fully-stocked pro shop and practice facilities. Visit www.legendsgolftx.com or call (325) 388-8888. Located at 105 Range Way Circle in Kingsland.
• Llano River Golf Course: This 18-hole public course and fully-equipped pro shop is situated on the banks of the beautiful Llano River, just two miles west of the historic Llano Courthouse near Robinson City Park. Visit www.llanorivergolfcourse.com or call (325) 247-5100. Located at 2835 West RR 152 in Llano.
• Lighthouse Country Club: This semi-private course was completely renovated in 2006. Situated on flat terrain, it’s an easy course to walk. Though water hazards are featured on nine of the 18 holes, the 7,133-yard course still is a good play for beginning and advanced golfers. Visit www.lighthousecountry.com or call (325) 388-6660. Located at 118 Club Circle on the corner of River Oaks Drive and Skyline Drive in Kingsland.
HORSESHOE BAY RESORT
All three courses (listed below), designed by Robert Trent Jones, are limited to resort members and guests of the Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott hotel. Don’t forget the Whitewater Putting Course, a luxury miniature-golf course designed around scenic palm trees and a picturesque waterfall. Visit www.horseshoebaytexas.com. Call each course for tee times. The courses are located in Horseshoe Bay off FM 2147.
• Ram Rock — Respected across the United States as one of the toughest courses you’ll ever experience. A challenge and a thrill for even the best golfers. Call (830) 598-6561.
• Slick Rock — Recognized in “America’s Greatest Golfing Resorts” and site of the Texas State Open and numerous United States Golf Association events, this course features 154 acres of rolling terrain interrupted by 71 bunkers, lakes and Slick Rock Creek. Call (830) 598-2561.
• Apple Rock — Laid out along some of the highest and most scenic Horseshoe Bay property, the 12th hole plays along the shore of Lake LBJ. The course was recognized by Golf Digest as the best new resort course the year it opened. Call (830) 598-6561.
• Whitewater Putting Course — Built around scenic palm trees, strategically placed obstacles and a beautiful waterfall, this course is perfect for golfers looking for an “easy” tap-in experience. Call (830) 598-3909.