SUBSCRIBE NOW

Enjoy all your local news and sports for less than 5¢ per day.

Subscribe Now

Video: Watch it in the 4-1-10 newscast on ThePicayuneTV.com

BURNET – At first, Cathy Bradley thought somebody could have been playing some sort of early April Fool’s joke when she heard fire had destroyed the apartment she shared with her seriously ill mother for several months in Burnet.

Unfortunately, it was no prank, Bradley said Wednesday night. Nearly all the belongings were destroyed.


IN PHOTO: Burnet resident Cathy Bradley takes a break while surveying fire damage to her apartment in the Creekside Townhomes. Staff photo by Raymond V. Whelan

And to make matters worse, Bradley’s mom died just a few days ago, adding to the load she is carrying.

Nobody was injured during the fire at the Creekside Townhomes, 103 N. Hill St., No. 42, according to Bradley and Jennie Jackson, her next-door neighbor.

She was visiting her sister Kerrie Kajak near Silver Creek when the blaze broke out about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, Bradley said.

A “short in the electrical wiring” may have caused the apartment to catch fire, Bradley said.

Jackson smelled smoke coming from the Bradley apartment, and she dialed 911.

“Thank God I was awake at that time,” Jackson said.

The Burnet Fire Department responded quickly to the alarm at Creekside, Jackson added.

“They were right here,” Jackson said.

Other than a telephone and power outage, the fire caused no damage to her home, nor did the flames harm any other units, Jackson added.

Bradley said lived with her mother Betty Edwards at the apartment until Edwards died of cancer at 81 March 27.

Bradley and her husband Lenon Bradley were soiled in black soot as they sorted out their belongings after the fire Wednesday night.

Her mother had insurance to cover some of the damaged belongings, said Cathy Bradley.

“I don’t know how much, but she had it,” Bradley added. “She had antique furniture and thousands of dollars of clothes in her closet. It is all gone.”

raymond@thepicayune.com