Support Community Press

You can show your support of a vibrant and healthy free press by becoming a voluntary subscriber.

Subscribe Now

Three pets perish in Spicewood house fire

POSTED 3-31-2010

SPICEWOOD — Three women are homeless and three pets dead after an early-morning fire destroyed their rented home in the 4100 block of CR 410 Wednesday.

Jesse Hunt, son of one of the occupants, said neither his mother nor her two roommates were home at the time of the fire, which was reported about 6 a.m.

 


IN PHOTO: Jesse Hunt helps remove belongings from the gutted wreckage of a manufactured home destroyed by a fire early Wednesday in the 4100 block of CR 410 in Spicewood. While none of the building’s occupants were home, three dogs died in the blaze. Staff photo by Chris Porter

"I first heard about it this morning around 8:30 a.m. after one of the neighbors called my boss at work," he said. "It was one of the neighbors that first saw the fire, and he came over and sprayed it with a garden hose until the Fire Department got here."

Occupants Pamela Takahashi, Melanie Sanders and Michelle McCommas have moved to temporary lodgings at a hotel, Hunt said.

Hunt and his brother Robert, sons of Takahashi, spent Wednesday helping locate the remains of their mothers’ dogs, Tweenie and Gracie-Gray.

Another dog, a pit-bull terrier named Kratos, was pulled from the burning building by volunteer firefighters, but later succumbed to smoke inhalation after rescuers attempted to revive it with oxygen, Hunt said.

"My mom was really broken up about it," he said. "We’re just trying to find the other two dogs so we can give them a good burial."

Jamie Ludwig of Spicewood Fire-EMS said the fire consumed the home.

"When we got there, the building was fully engulfed," she said. "We had 14 members from the volunteer fire department there, along with members of the Marble Falls Area Volunteer Fire Department and some family members from our department."

While the exact cause of the fire isn’t known, Hunt said faulty wiring near a household appliance may have started the blaze.

Relatives and friends of the displaced renters Wednesday helped remove belongings from the house, which had heavy roof damage.

"Some of the stuff inside just had some smoke damage, so we’re trying to remove all of that," Hunt said. "But the house is a total loss."

No other buildings were damaged.

chris@thepicayune.com