Categorized | Uncategorized

Electrical issue possible cause of Bertram house fire

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Fire crews doused a blaze that destroyed a home July 13 in Bertram. Courtesy photo

Fire crews doused a blaze that destroyed a home July 13 in Bertram. Courtesy photo

BERTRAM — Investigators blame a possible electrical issue for a fire that destroyed a home July 13 in the Sunset Oaks subdivision.

The incident happened just before 9 a.m. in the 200 block of Lakeshore Road in Bertram.

A road crew working nearby noticed the fire and called 9-1-1.

“When we showed up on the scene, we had heavy flames already showing through the roof,” said Bobby Huffstuttler, the Bertram fire chief and Emergency Service District No. fire marshal.

“The master bath, we believe, was the area of origin,” he added. “The fire got through the attic and destroyed the rest of the house.”

Fire crews saved a detached garage and a guest house adjacent to the residence.

At the time of the fire, the occupants were at work in Burnet.

An investigation followed.

“We believe it was possibly electrical,” Huffstuttler said.

The home is considered a total loss.

“We did a search and were able to save a lot of pictures and personal items,” he said. “We were able to save the ashes of a child who had been cremated.”

Red Cross is assisting the family.

Crews cleared the scene at 12:15 pm.

editor@thepicayune.com

Leave a Reply

 

Sign Up For Our Newsletter