Burn off holiday calories at Inks Lake State Park in November
BURNET — Inks Lake State Park has plenty of activities in November to burn off some calories before you pack on the pounds on Thanksgiving.
The park is located at 3630 Park Road 4. Entrance fees are $6 for ages 13 and older; $3 for Texas residents 65 and older; and free for ages 12 and younger.
Grab your bike for the Pedal Off the Pie Trail Ride from noon to 2 p.m. Nov. 29. The 2½-mile trek goes to Pecan Flats and back and is for all ages. Along the way, the guide will point out natural features of the park’s landscape. The ride is free with park entrance fees. Participants should meet at the Pecan Flats trailhead.
If you’d rather explore on your own two feet, the park offers a few guided hikes. The hikes are free with park entrance fees.
- Bat and Owl Prowl and Moon/Star Hike, 6 p.m. Nov. 7 and 21 — Take a mile-long hike to search the skies for bats at twilight and listen for the calls of owls before watching the moon rise.
- Hike the Hill Country, 10 a.m. Nov. 8 and 22 — A Highland Lakes Master Naturalist will take hikers up and down rocky outcroppings with views of the lake and Hoover’s Valley. Bring water and food.
- Geology Rocks! noon-2 p.m. Nov. 8 and 22 — Learn about the park’s geology on a hike to Devil’s Waterhole. Meet at the Devil’s Waterhole trailhead.
- Stumpy Hollow Hike, 10 a.m. Nov. 15 and 29 — Join a Highland Lakes Master Naturalist on a hike to Stumpy Hollow and learn about animal habitats and vegetation along the way. Meet at the Pecan Flats trailhead.
Other programs include:
- Fishing with a Ranger, 4-5 p.m. Fridays. Program is free with park entrance fees. Meet behind park store.
- Night Sky Party star-gazing, 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Program is $10 plus park entrance fees. Weather permitting. Meet near playground in front of Chris’ Landing.
- Junior Ranger Adventure hike for all ages, 1-2 p.m. Nov. 8 and 22. Hike is free with park entrance fees. Meet at Pecan Flats trailhead.
- Geocaching 101 workshop, 1 p.m. Nov. 15 and 29. Program is $3 plus park entrance fees. Meet at park store. Program includes a hike. Bring water and wear hiking shoes.
- Dutch oven cooking class, 4 p.m. Nov. 15. All ages. Program is free with park entrance fees. Meet at park pavilion.
Paddling trips include:
- Moonlight paddle, 7-9 p.m. Nov. 8
- Twilight paddle, 7-9 p.m. Nov. 22
Paddling trips are for ages 15 and older. The cost is $15 a person plus park entrance fees. There is a limited number of canoes, so pre-registration is required. Life jackets are supplied. Call (512) 793-2223.
For more on the programs, call the park at (512) 793-4689.