FROM STAFF REPORTS
MARBLE FALLS — The Marble Falls Independent School District made eight athletic department hirings at a special meeting July 9.
The Mustangs’ baseball program has a new head coach, and an old one at the same time. Tim Hulon was promoted to head coach from within the program. Athletic director Matt Green said he liked Hulon’s initiative in pursuing the position.
“Since he’s been with MFISD already, he brings some familiarity to the program and athletes,” Green said.
Two brothers, who previously worked for Green at Lucas Lovejoy, join the staff.
Mike Birdwell is the new co-offensive coordinator after coaching with Green the previous two years at Lovejoy. Jake Birdwell will be a defensive coach.
Even with the eight hires, Green said more are needed, primarily in the girls’ athletic department.
Other hires include:
- Matt Williams joins the staff from The Woodlands as a football and a track coach.
- Scott Johnson will coach defense in football and be an assistant baseball coach. He was the Lyndon B. Johnson (Johnson City) defensive coordinator.
- Travis Chrisman, of Wimberley, will coach football and baseball.
- Grayson Townzen will coach middle school.
- Sarah Mengers is a new athletic trainer from Jarrell.