FROM STAFF REPORTS
LEANDER — After two days of competition May 2-3 in the Central Texas Special Olympics track meet, the Marble Falls student-athletes brought back a treasure chest of medals.
The Marble Falls Independent School District delegation included students from the Marble Falls Middle School, the Marble Falls High School and the Marble Falls Transition House. The students competed in almost all the typical track-and-field events, though some were modified for the youth.
“It was a great experience for these young athletes,” said Devin Vicars, the MFISD head of delegation and coach. “They did an outstanding job.”
The medal breakdown and results are as follows:
From Marble Falls Middle School:
- Soccooro De La Hoya — second in softball throw, second in 50-meter dash
- Taylor Johnson — first in softball throw, third in 50-meter dash
- Debra Wolfe — third in softball throw, third in 50-meter dash
- Logan Uptmor — third in 100-meter dash, first in mini-javelin throw
- Chevaz McHenry — fifth in mini-javelin throw
From Marble Falls High School:
- Kim Morrow — second in ball throw, fifth in 50-meter dash
- Jairo Ortiz — second in ball throw, second in 25-meter wheelchair race
- Karena Rios — second in softball throw, fourth in 100-meter dash
- Daniel Pugh — third in 50-meter dash, first in softball throw
- Jonathan Estrada — second in 100-meter dash, second in mini-javelin throw
- Mike Thixton — second in shot put, sixth in 100-meter dash
- Jacob Phillips — first in shot put, third in 100-meter dash
- Trevor Phillips — second in 100-meter dash, second in mini-javelin throw
- Andrew Phillips — first in softball throw, fourth in 100-meter dash
- Lidia Trejo — first in ball throw
From the Marble Falls Transition House:
- Briant Atkinson — fifth in the 200-meter dash, second in running long jump
- Raul Serifin — second in the 50-meter dash, third in softball throw
- Tanner Worthing — second in 50-meter dash, fifth in softball throw
The 4×100-meter team of Atkinson, Trevor Phillips, Andrew Phillips and Estrada finished fifth.
The Marble Falls student-athletes are now preparing for the Special Olympics Texas Summer Games on May 22-25 at the University of Texas-Arlington in Arlington.
Go to www.sotx.org to learn more about the Special Olympics or email Vicars at email@example.com.