Burnet Middle School gets an ‘all-clear’ after bomb threat

JARED FIELDS • PICAYUNE STAFF

BURNET — An “all-clear” has been issued for Burnet Middle School by the Burnet Police Department.

A bomb threat at the Burnet Middle School about 9:40 a.m. April 10 forced students and staff to evacuate the school and relocate to the Burnet High School gym while emergency responders searched the campus.

Burnet Police Chief Paul Nelson would not comment on the threat’s details, but said the safety of all students and staff was a top priority.

Nelson said no bomb or weapons had been found at the school, although the campus was still being combed about 3 p.m. the same day by officials before reopening the campus.

According to Burnet Consolidated Independent School District Superintendent Keith McBurnett, all schools will open on a normal schedule April 11. The district will take precautionary measures and station law enforcement at all campuses.

The Texas Department of Public Safety SWAT Team and Austin Police Department Bomb Squad were searching the campus, he said.

“The main priority is the kids,” Nelson said. “We have to make sure not to overlook anything, and (we’ll have) multiple searches.”

A Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter from Waco was flying over the middle school and other district campuses to help monitor the area along with Burnet police, fire department and the Burnet County Sheriff’s Office.

“By school time tomorrow, and probably earlier than that, (McBurnett) will know what the plan will be,” Nelson said.

Nelson said school officials notified the school resource officer about the threat. The officer then contacted Nelson. Once McBurnett was notified, the two decided to evacuate the school.

jared@thepicayune.com