Support Community Press

You can show your support of a vibrant and healthy free press by becoming a voluntary subscriber.

Subscribe Now

Heat lamps for pets suspected source of fire that destroyed CR 120 home, vehicles

FROM STAFF REPORTS 

BURNET COUNTY — Investigators believe malfunctioning heat lamps used to keep pets warm in a garage might be to blame for a fire that destroyed a home adjacent to the Stone Mountain subdivision and several vehicles in the early morning hours of Dec. 13.

At least three people were displaced and referred to the American Red Cross as a result, according to the Marble Falls Volunteer Fire Department.

The fire engulfed the garage, a three-bedroom house, two pickups, a sport-utility vehicle and a car at the property in the 5900 block of CR 120, said Marble Falls VFD Chief Terry White.

“It appears it started in the garage area due to heat lamps. The fire moved from the garage to the main structure,” White said. “They had some pets they were keeping warm. It looks like (the heat lamps) malfunctioned.”

The residents safely escaped, he said. Three dogs, several goats and a horse were unharmed.

“The resident of the house was woken up by the dog,” Marble Falls VFD Capt. George Tennison said. “They got everybody out of the house.”

Volunteer crews were initially called about 3:30 a.m. and kept the fire at bay until assistance arrived from Marble Falls Fire Rescue and the Granite Shoals Fire Department, which shuttled at least three tankers of water from Marble Falls to the remote property on about five acres.

Crews cleared the scene about six hours later.

editor@thepicayune.com