August’s Picayune Magazine a hot topic
After the hottest May, June, and July on record, The Picayune Magazine decided to take a look at what the current drought and high temperatures are doing to the water supply in the Highland Lakes. A series of stories on our “Troubled Waters” begins with the cover story for the August issue, which shows up in mailboxes and on newsstands and countertops in Burnet and Llano counties this week. The rest of the series will be featured online at DailyTrib.com.
The series begins with a visit to the Burnet County Commissioners Court by the Central Texas Water Alliance, armed with a resolution asking the Lower Colorado River Authority to update its water management plan three years earlier than planned. Commissioners approved the resolution at the same time LCRA emailed DailyTrib.com that it has no plans to accelerate an update. You can read all about it in The Picayune and throughout August on DailyTrib.com.
Sticking with the “hot” theme, reporter Jennifer Greenwell explores the world of chiles, including a chart marking the level of hotness from poblano to Carolina Reaper. You can also find out what makes Hatch chiles so special.
Two Faith Academy of Marble Falls graduates recently received their U.S. Army Ranger tags after grueling weeks at Ranger school. Read how it’s all in family for Rachel Bohnemann and Austin Ellis.
Students are back in class as of mid-August, and at Burnet Middle School, a new SMART Smiles dental office opens to provide free dental care for students. Burnet dental hygienist Jennifer Banton started the program in 2013.
Our “What’s in a Name?” feature profiles Kate Craddock, the first woman on the Burnet City Commission (now the City Council) and a driving force behind building the city airport: Kate Craddock Field.
You can also read how another Burnet County innovator, Dr. Justin Coyle, a cardiologist at Baylor Scott & White Medical Center-Marble Falls, brought a new cardio health system to the area that is saving lives and trips to the hospital.
This month’s “Picayune People” shines the spotlight on Robin Sindorf Kaspar, the children’s ministry coordinator at Packsaddle Fellowship in Kingsland. Before that, however, she was a beauty queen, a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, and a rodeo clown.
Near the back of the magazine, where readers turn for great classified ads, you’ll find a list of August events and two features focused on Highland Lakes residents on the go. “Out and About” headed to the Kingsland AquaBoom and the Marble Falls Rodeo, while “Where in the World” has snapshots of locals in Mexico, Israel, Romania, Germany, and Florida.
For those who didn’t get The Picayune Magazine in the mail, you can flip through the digital version online or pick up a free copy at one of the following locations:
HORSESHOE BAY/COTTONWOOD SHORES
- La Quinta Inn, 501 FM 2147 West
- Worldmark, 755 Rocky Road (FM 2147)
- Bob’s Drive In (Exxon) on FM 2147
- Grease Monkey, 3907 FM 2147
- Julie’s Cocina, 4319 FM 2147
- PK Nails, 7405 FM 2147
- Subway, 4823 FM 2147
- 7-Eleven, 8000 FM 2147
- Horseshoe Bay Veterinary Clinic, 264072 Texas 71
- Spyke’s Bar-B-Que, 14601 RR 1431 West
- Wakepoint Convenience Store, 14757 RR 1431 West
- Satellite Station, 100 W. Chamberlain St.
- Kingsland Coffee (inside The Antlers Inn), 1001 King Ct.
- Subway, 1133 RR 1431
- Valentine Lakeside Resort, 814 Euel Moore
- Kingsland Water Supply, 1422 West Drive
- Buddie’s, 1621 RR 1431
- Mr. Gatti’s, 3501 W RR 1431
- El Bracero, 1516 RR 1431
- Kingsland Health Mart Pharmacy, 306 RM 2900
- The Place Downtown, 1910 RR 1431 West
- ACE Hardware, 2607 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland Health & Fitness, 2132 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 1309 RR 1431
- Kingsland Hills Care Center, 3727 RR 1431 West
- Canyon of the Eagles, 16942 FM 2341 in Burnet
- Delaware Springs Golf Course, 600 Delaware Springs Blvd. in Burnet
- Trailblazer’s Grille, 216 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Unshakeable Grounds, 134 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Burnet Chamber of Commerce, 101 N. Pierce St., Suite 1
- Cecil Automotive, 2601 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- YMCA of the Highland Lakes at Galloway-Hammond, 1601 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Ascension Seton Highland Lakes, 3201 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Looking Good, 1001 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Crazy Gal’s Restaurant, 414 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Reese’s Truck Pieces, 610 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Hill Country Auto Glass, 1100 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- B Dogs Nutrition Spot, 102 E. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Bill’s Burgers, 306 W. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Storm’s, 700 N. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Comfort Inn, 810 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet,
- Country Oaks Assisted Living, 407 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- The Oaks Nursing Home, 507 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- Quick Brakes, 16211 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Jesse James Real Estate, 18036 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Lake Buchanan/Inks Lake Chamber of Commerce, 19611 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Food Mart, 2045 RR 261 in Buchanan Dam
- Lakeshore Branch Library, 7346 RR 261 in Buchanan Dam
- J&S Quick Stop, 110 Frazier in Tow
- Buchanan General Store, 10240 Texas 29
- Big Chief RV Resort, 1420 FM 690
- Hoover Valley Cafe & Store on Park Road 4
- 2 Roosters RV Park, 1315 FM 1980
- Sunset Point Resort, 2322 N. Wirtz Dam Roaqd
- Cracker Barrel Grocery, 6836 RR 1431
- Rocky Top Food Mart, 6924 RR 1431 West
- Buck’s Convenience Store, 8201 RR 1431
- China Kitchen, 705 First St.
- Thread & Needle, 911 Ninth St.
- RE/MAX Marble Falls, 808 Ninth St.
- Marble Falls Visitors Center, 100 Avenue G
- Bear King Brewery, 207 Avenue G
- Holiday Inn, 714 Corazon Drive
- Mike’s Floor Coverings, 1804 RR 1431 West
- Blue Bonnet Cafe, 211 U.S. 281
- Wingman Oil Change, 2514 U.S. 281 North
- Baylor Scott & White, 800 and 810 Texas 71
- Jardin Corona, 301 Main St.
- Red box newsstand in Old Oak Square on Main Street
- Main Street Consignment, 216 Main St.
- Gateway Villa, 601 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Hampton Inn, 704 First St.
- Marble Falls/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 916 Second St.
- Birdie’s Antiques, 706 Third St.
- Choccolatte’s, 807 Third St.
- Rae’s R-Bar Grill, 904 Third St.
- Zina & Co. Real Estate, 614 Seventh St.
- Dale Brown Properties, 206 Avenue H
- Claremont, 800 Claremont
- Poole Eye Associates, 10008 Falls Parkway
- Gateway Gardens, 605 Gateway Central
- Highland Lakes Veterinary Clinic, 1110 RR 1431
- Margarita’s, 1205 RR 1431
- Unleashed, 1110 RR 1431
- Lone Star Capitol Bank, 1001 RR 1431
- Numinous Coffee Roasters, 175 RR 1431
- Doc’s Fish Camp & Grill, 900 RR 1431 West at U.S. 281
- Kwik Chek #52, 1003 RR 1431 West
- CK Medical Spa, 1712 RR 1431 West
- Pottery Ranch, 6000 U.S. 281
- Kwik Chek #53, 1301 U.S. 281
- Wingman BBQ, 2407 U.S. 281
- Tea Thyme Cafe, 2108 U.S. 281
- Hill Country Inn, 1101 U.S. 281
- Marble Falls Athletic Club, 2312 U.S. 281
- Texan Credit, 1514 U.S. 281
- Quality Inn, 1206 U.S. 281 North
- Wingman Carwash, 2605 U.S. 281 North
- Best Western, 1403 U.S. 281 North
- Arbor House, 1801 King Road
- Service Title, 117 Main St
- Marble Falls Florist, 214 Main St.
- ReDid, 209 Main St.
- Highland Lakes Art Guild, 318 Main St.
- Granite Mesa, 1401 Max Copeland Drive
- Hill Country Nutrition, 1405 Mormon Mill
- Motel 6, 1400 Ollie Lane
- Louisiana Crab Shack, 602 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Opie’s, 9504 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
- Spicewood General Store, 9418 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
ROUND MOUNTAIN/JOHNSON CITY
- Old Olie’s Outside, 10541 U.S. 281 North
- Big’s (Valero), 10541 U.S. 281
- Whittington’s, 602 U.S. 281 South
- El Agave, 408 U.S. 281 North
- Lone Star Capital Bank, 403 U.S. 281 South
- Best Western, 107 U.S. 281 South
- Fat Boy’s Burgers, 104 U.S. 281 South
- Hill Country Cupboard, 101 U.S. 281
- JC Liquors, 100 U.S. 281 South
- Johnson City Library, 501 Nugent Ave.
- Johnson City Chamber of Commerce, 100 E. Main St.
- Pecan Street Brewery, 106 E. Pecan Drive
- Harvest House, 506 N. Nugent
- Stripes, 901 Bessemer Ave.
- Stripes, 200 Texas 71
- Llano Chamber of Commerce, 100 Train Station Drive
- Fuel Coffee House, 106 E. Main St.
- Stonewall Pizza, 109 W. Main St.
- LanTex Theater, 113 W. Main St.
- Jesse James Real Estate, 500 W. Young St.
- Cooper’s BBQ, 604 W. Young St.
- Robinson Llano City RV Park, 101 Robinson Park Drive