Play ball with May’s Picayune Magazine
Youth sports, recovering damaged history, and May events fill the pages of the new issue of The Picayune Magazine, which is landing in mailboxes and being distributed to newsstands and businesses this week. Also, a special “By the Numbers” feature outlines what’s at stake during the three (yes, THREE) elections this month.
Student correspondent Grace Gates, a junior at Burnet High School, wrote and shot the cover story for the May 2022 issue.
“Youth sports made a big impact on me, and I thought it would be cool to hear other stories, too,” Gates told Executive Editor Suzanne Freeman when she first pitched the story. “I noticed how, especially in smaller towns, sports play such a big roll in keeping kids out of trouble and in developing close friendships. It’s such a great thing for a community to have.”
Gates grew up in youth sports, playing T-ball and mostly basketball. She is on the Burnet High School varsity basketball squad and participates on the debate team. She also works part time for Luedecke Photography.
A roadside historical marker near you might need some tender, loving care. A young couple in Cottonwood Shores and Victory Media’s own Mac McClennahan share their stories about researching, finding, and restoring roadside markers.
McClennahan is the morning show host for KBEY 103.9 FM Radio Picayune. He takes readers through a step-by-step restoration process for Texas Historical Commission roadside markers.
Nichole and Michael Ritchie call themselves history nerds. Their hobby led them to find the missing Texas Centennial Marker that once graced a demolished roadside park just south of the U.S. 281 bridge in Marble Falls. Find out where it was and where it is going now in the May issue.
Festival season peaks in May, and you’ll find details in the pages of The Picayune Magazine, starting with a new date for Marble Falls LakeFest. The Southern Drag Boat Association kicks off its 2022 season on the shores of Lake Marble Falls on May 21-22. Details are on page 8.
Also in the May issue:
- • story about Honor Flight Austin’s planned trip this fall with veterans from the Highland Lakes
- how a Horseshoe Bay retiree who grew up in a boxcar city in Chicago became a successful businessman and father
- how to send in your own stories for possible inclusion in the pages of The Picayune Magazine
- the Events Short List, which details the many events coming this month
- where the magazine traveled with its readers in Where in the World is The Picayune?
- who was Out and About at the Bluebonnet Festival last month
WHERE TO FIND THE PICAYUNE
If you didn’t get The Picayune Magazine in your mailbox, you can always find one at a Highland Lakes business. Thanks, Highland Lakes, for your support of The Picayune Magazine. Still free after all these years!
HORSESHOE BAY/COTTONWOOD SHORES
- La Quinta Inn, 501 FM 2147 West
- Worldmark, 755 Rocky Road (FM 2147)
- Bob’s Drive In (Exxon) on FM 2147
- Grease Monkey, 3907 FM 2147
- Julie’s Cocina, 4319 FM 2147
- PK Nails, 7405 FM 2147
- Subway, 4823 FM 2147
- 7-Eleven, 8000 FM 2147
- Horseshoe Bay Veterinary Clinic, 264072 Texas 71
- Spyke’s Bar-B-Que, 14601 RR 1431 West
- Wakepoint Convenience Store, 14757 RR 1431 West
- Satellite Station, 100 W. Chamberlain St.
- Kingsland Coffee (inside The Antlers Inn), 1001 King Ct.
- Subway, 1133 RR 1431
- Valentine Lakeside Resort, 814 Euel Moore
- Kingsland Water Supply, 1422 West Drive
- Buddie’s, 1621 RR 1431
- Mr. Gatti’s, 3501 W RR 1431
- El Bracero, 1516 RR 1431
- Kingsland Health Mart Pharmacy, 306 RM 2900
- The Place Downtown, 1910 RR 1431 West
- ACE Hardware, 2607 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland Health & Fitness, 2132 RR 1431 West
- Kingsland/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 1309 RR 1431
- Kingsland Hills Care Center, 3727 RR 1431 West
- Canyon of the Eagles, 16942 FM 2341 in Burnet
- Delaware Springs Golf Course, 600 Delaware Springs Blvd. in Burnet
- Trailblazer’s Grille, 216 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Unshakeable Grounds, 134 S. Main St. in Burnet
- Burnet Chamber of Commerce, 101 N. Pierce St., Suite 1
- Cecil Automotive, 2601 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- YMCA of the Highland Lakes at Galloway-Hammond, 1601 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Ascension Seton Highland Lakes, 3201 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Looking Good, 1001 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Crazy Gal’s Restaurant, 414 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Reese’s Truck Pieces, 610 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Hill Country Auto Glass, 1100 Buchanan Drive (Texas 29) in Burnet
- B Dogs Nutrition Spot, 102 E. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Bill’s Burgers, 306 W. Polk St. (Texas 29) in Burnet
- Storm’s, 700 N. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet
- Comfort Inn, 810 S. Water St. (U.S. 281) in Burnet,
- Country Oaks Assisted Living, 407 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- The Oaks Nursing Home, 507 W. Jackson St. in Burnet
- Quick Brakes, 16211 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Jesse James Real Estate, 18036 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Lake Buchanan/Inks Lake Chamber of Commerce, 19611 Texas 29 East in Buchanan Dam
- Food Mart, 2045 RR 261 in Buchanan Dam
- Lakeshore Branch Library, 7346 RR 261 in Buchanan Dam
- J&S Quick Stop, 110 Frazier in Tow
- Buchanan General Store, 10240 Texas 29
- Big Chief RV Resort, 1420 FM 690
- Hoover Valley Cafe & Store on Park Road 4
- 2 Roosters RV Park, 1315 FM 1980
- Sunset Point Resort, 2322 N. Wirtz Dam Roaqd
- Cracker Barrel Grocery, 6836 RR 1431
- Rocky Top Food Mart, 6924 RR 1431 West
- Buck’s Convenience Store, 8201 RR 1431
- China Kitchen, 705 First St.
- Thread & Needle, 911 Ninth St.
- RE/MAX Marble Falls, 808 Ninth St.
- Marble Falls Visitors Center, 100 Avenue G
- Bear King Brewery, 207 Avenue G
- Holiday Inn, 714 Corazon Drive
- Mike’s Floor Coverings, 1804 RR 1431 West
- Blue Bonnet Cafe, 211 U.S. 281
- Wingman Oil Change, 2514 U.S. 281 North
- Baylor Scott & White, 800 and 810 Texas 71
- Jardin Corona, 301 Main St.
- Red box newsstand in Old Oak Square on Main Street
- Main Street Consignment, 216 Main St.
- Gateway Villa, 601 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Hampton Inn, 704 First St.
- Marble Falls/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce, 916 Second St.
- Birdie’s Antiques, 706 Third St.
- Choccolatte’s, 807 Third St.
- Rae’s R-Bar Grill, 904 Third St.
- Zina & Co. Real Estate, 614 Seventh St.
- Dale Brown Properties, 206 Avenue H
- Claremont, 800 Claremont
- Poole Eye Associates, 10008 Falls Parkway
- Gateway Gardens, 605 Gateway Central
- Highland Lakes Veterinary Clinic, 1110 RR 1431
- Margarita’s, 1205 RR 1431
- Unleashed, 1110 RR 1431
- Lone Star Capitol Bank, 1001 RR 1431
- Numinous Coffee Roasters, 175 RR 1431
- Doc’s Fish Camp & Grill, 900 RR 1431 West at U.S. 281
- Kwik Chek #52, 1003 RR 1431 West
- CK Medical Spa, 1712 RR 1431 West
- Pottery Ranch, 6000 U.S. 281
- Kwik Chek #53, 1301 U.S. 281
- Wingman BBQ, 2407 U.S. 281
- Tea Thyme Cafe, 2108 U.S. 281
- Hill Country Inn, 1101 U.S. 281
- Marble Falls Athletic Club, 2312 U.S. 281
- Texan Credit, 1514 U.S. 281
- Quality Inn, 1206 U.S. 281 North
- Wingman Carwash, 2605 U.S. 281 North
- Best Western, 1403 U.S. 281 North
- Arbor House, 1801 King Road
- Service Title, 117 Main St
- Marble Falls Florist, 214 Main St.
- ReDid, 209 Main St.
- Highland Lakes Art Guild, 318 Main St.
- Granite Mesa, 1401 Max Copeland Drive
- Hill Country Nutrition, 1405 Mormon Mill
- Motel 6, 1400 Ollie Lane
- Louisiana Crab Shack, 602 Steve Hawkins Parkway
- Opie’s, 9504 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
- Spicewood General Store, 9418 Texas 71 East in Spicewood
ROUND MOUNTAIN/JOHNSON CITY
- Old Olie’s Outside, 10541 U.S. 281 North
- Big’s (Valero), 10541 U.S. 281
- Whittington’s, 602 U.S. 281 South
- El Agave, 408 U.S. 281 North
- Lone Star Capital Bank, 403 U.S. 281 South
- Best Western, 107 U.S. 281 South
- Fat Boy’s Burgers, 104 U.S. 281 South
- Hill Country Cupboard, 101 U.S. 281
- JC Liquors, 100 U.S. 281 South
- Johnson City Library, 501 Nugent Ave.
- Johnson City Chamber of Commerce, 100 E. Main St.
- Pecan Street Brewery, 106 E. Pecan Drive
- Harvest House, 506 N. Nugent
- Stripes, 901 Bessemer Ave.
- Stripes, 200 Texas 71
- Llano Chamber of Commerce, 100 Train Station Drive
- Fuel Coffee House, 106 E. Main St.
- Stonewall Pizza, 109 W. Main St.
- LanTex Theater, 113 W. Main St.
- Jesse James Real Estate, 500 W. Young St.
- Cooper’s BBQ, 604 W. Young St.
- Robinson Llano City RV Park, 101 Robinson Park Drive