Granite Shoals man dies in crash during police pursuit

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Cruz Grimaldo Suarez

Cruz Grimaldo Suarez

GRANITE SHOALS — An 18-year-old Granite Shoals man died Oct. 19 in a crash while being pursued by police, according to a Texas Department of Public Safety report.

The incident occurred at about 3:30 a.m. that morning on Prairie Creek Road.

The report stated that Cruz Grimaldo Suarez was driving a 1998 Chevrolet pickup “traveling southbound … fleeing from police.”

A preliminary assessment of what happened indicated the vehicle “swerved left,” leading to a crash.

The vehicle rolled over and and collided with a tree.

More details are pending from the Granite Shoals Police Department.

editor@thepicayune.com

29 Responses to “Granite Shoals man dies in crash during police pursuit”

1. Thomas says:

Poor boy. If someone would do an investigation on burnet county and see how crooked the police are may be they would see why our young people are turning out like this.

• GT says:

Thomas: If people like you would take responsibility for raising your own kids instead of placing blame on other people who are not their parents maybe they would not turn out criminals. Don’t blame other for how a child turns out. Lack of self responsibility is evidently not something you are willing to accept.

• Old Goat says:

Oh really? And what proof do you have of such allegations?

• David R Biegel says:

With all due respect, that is a delusional train of thought.

• Georgina says:

That “Poor Boy” was constantly speeding up and down our streets. That “Poor Boy” would peel out and burn rubber on a weekly basis. Less than one year ago, he was hauling around the corner from my house , hit a telephone pole, knocked out my neighbors electricity, and drove home. We were scared he was going to kill himself or kill an innocent bystander. I had no idea he was only 18. He has been tearing up and down the road for 3 years. I do sympothize for his parents. His father is a hard worker.

2. James Tiemann says:

Poor boy? If he would have stopped and not ran away and endangered the lives of himself and others. Better him than an innocent neighbor. Please dont blame his poor decision on the policeman protecting us who appreciate a safe community.

The question I have is why did he run? Was it worth the outcome to him? He left someone behind that loved him. Running was the wrong choice.

• Mike Johnston says:

A question you should also always ask is “was it prudent to give chase?” We don’t have much information, but please always consider the possibility that police chase people down when it poses a greater risk to do so than to let them go and fully investigate later. If we are talking about a busted tail light or going 5 miles over the speed limit, and chasing someone might endanger a bystander or the driver, they can take the license plate and get a general description of the driver and figure out “why are they running?” later. Too often it seems like police are so interested in ending a chase that preventing it in the first place never enters their mind.

I know, I know, “you’ll let the bad guy get away!” But who wins if someone takes off, police chase them and the driver ends up hitting and killing someone? I’ll tell you…nobody. Literally nobody wins when that happens. Someone is dead, someone else’s life is ruined, and taxpayers have to pay for all the trials and prison time.

• Shadow says:

So what your saying is we shouldnt chase criminals because someone might get hurt. Your line of reasoning is what propels the crime rates of cities like Chicago.

3. Dan Patrick says:

Why is it always to be forgiven for doing a crime or evading arrest. You want me to do some crime against you or your property and when the police are called, the police should just let me drive away? What’s wrong with people like you. LIfe lessons: 1) Do not do crime- there is always a better way and never an excuse 2) Don’t talk back just to be tough- don’t say “They don’t respect me!” if you don’t respect them. 3) Do NOT hang out or associate with people who run into problems with the law- they bring you down. I know- I survived it. No excuse. I didn’t have no privileges and no Dad or male role model- I just learned on my own that it just doesn’t work. Only people that rode me hard were the police I encountered and the were made, angry, stressed out but they told me more than once they was disappointed in me- it helped me totally get away from that. The truth? I actually was abused, beat up, hurt, tormented, threatened ROBBED by dudes who gave me hell for trying to DO THE RIGHT THING. Be real man- only time a cop chased me was when I was running from a bad scene.

4. John brisco says:

I knew Cruz from school this is so messed up he doesn’t even seem like the type to
    Do anything bad enough to have to flee from police

5. Georgina says:

That kid was my neighbor. We were afraid he was gonna kill one of our children. He used to burn out and drive like a speed demon. One night he hit a telephone pole on the next street over. We were terrified to see him coming down the street. I’m so sorry he didn’t get help. I feel awful for his parents.

6. Cheech says:

Like daddy always said, por pendejo!!

7. Jan says:

His bad decision cost him his life. The simple solution would simply have been to obey the law in the first place. Our law enforcement officers were placed in danger because of his reckless actions. Laws save lives only when we follow them.

8. Mustang Parent says:

Very sad, prayers for his family. He was a teenager, not a man. Teenage boys are often impulsive, immature and make bad decisions. There but by the grace that he was not my son.

9. Brandon says:

How all of yall shut your mouth I doubt any of y’all knew him that was one of my best friends. Why he ran is none of y’alls business either.

10. Gail says:

If you look at his record, he was arrested for driving while intoxicated 2/2016. Just barely 17. Don’t blame the police, he started young. Don’t kid yourself, there are some bad men and women in this county. I had my home burglarized and they get little time in jail and out doing it again. They sell your belongings and keep going on to the next person.

I commend the police for the great job they do.

11. Linda says:

My heart goes out to his family and friends but most all of it goes out to the elderly couple who’s yard he crashed into being woke up like that time of the morning. So no poor boy nothing. He did it too hisself and everyone else. He was going 62 miles down Praire Creek and running from the police. He was guilty of or hiding something otherwise you don’t run from law officers. One shouldn’t start blaming Burnet law officers for this young man’s horrible , bad choice and tragic decision. These officers go out every night and day and put their lives on the line for you and me.

12. common sense says:

the police were doing their job, the job we pay them to do. when an officer tells you to stop…YOU STOP!! when you see flashing lights while driving….YOU STOP!! if people had respect for authority and do what their told, then none of stuff would happen….we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in right now….you have people that think its okay to disrespect our flag because they think they were done wrong because they didn’t do what they were told to begin with. people need to get their head out!!! the boy made a choice, not the police, and he paid for it. lack of respect for the people around him. if he had stopped he would be alive today…..period. if he would have been in bed like everyone else at that time…he would be alive….period!!! don’t blame the police for doing their job!!!!

13. common sense says:

as for “Thomas’s” comment at the beginning of these replies….YOU’RE A STUPID IDIOT!!!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!! if you don’t like the way the police are doing things….go to another country where they don’t have law and order and see how good you actually have it

14. Jennifer says:

There is no need to bad mouth Cruz or his parents nor the​ way he was raised.Maybe some of you so called adults need to keep your opinions tk yourself . Let the kids REST IN PEACE!!!! He is a good friend of mine think of how what u say affect family and friends!!!

15. Kingsland Hillbilly says:

Break the law, pay the price. Kids need to understand at a young age that life is very important.

Granite Shoals needs the ICE to sweep the place.

16. Passer By says:

Ice would do you no good kingsland hillbilly because you would still be at home on the couch being lazy as you were at the time you chimed in. People do make poor choices and some outcomes are very unfortunate as this one was. I wish that everyone would let this rest now as the family grieve for their loss. Let God be the one judge of him. Thank God nobody else’s life was taken or hurt.

17. Joe says:

Just reading from the above, one caught my attention. The neighbor who was AFRAID when they saw him coming or leaving/BURNING OUT LIKE A SPEED DEMON, once wrecking into a telephone pole one street over and being terrified when he was seen driving down the street. One thing should be recognized, you should not be feared in or at your home, maybe there should have been more phone calls made to be reported of such acts. Sometimes we don’t want to act upon such instances because we don’t want to get into any other one’s business, I know, I feel that way at times, but let us all remember, we may be sitting there pondering, “WHAT IF”, what if I would have done more earlier to maybe have prevented this individual from reacting as he did, when he reacted the way he did. MAYBE he would still be with us. As parents, hard working or not, we do our best with our children, as parents, we are not with them 24/7 and they tend to make awful decisions that succumb to their temptations. I believe most of us are children in christ, no one is to blame, the only answer to why this happened, will always be unanswered.

18. .............. says:

Was this the kid that would drive like a bat out of hell on Sunset Dr? The reason why my kids were not allowed to play in the front yard.

19. Kim Long says:

Kingsland Hillbilly your comment has been one of the most stupid one I have read!! The young man was a US Citizen just as you are…he was born and raised in GS. Let the family grieve in peace,NOBODY is perfect,he made a bad choice & he paid for it so let it be. My prayers for his parents & siblings,family & friends.just like Passers-by said…let God be the judge. May he R.I.P

• Kingsland Hillbilly says:

Honesty is the best policy.

He realized honesty is the best policy and told them what really happened to their car.

20. common sense says:

last time I looked…..I have, like every other American, the right to free speech and we can say what the hell we want!! this is America!! not you (JENNIFER) or anyone is going to take that right away from me!!!!! the kid was a stupid PUNK! he died for being stupid! because he didn’t have any respect for himself or anyone else!

• Anonymous says:

Your right(common sense) you have freedom of speech but I bet if it was one of you family members you would be saying stuff back to people who say stuff like you…
      You don’t know the kid so if you don’t have something nice to say dont say nothing at all you didn’t know the life he lived you have no right to judge him for calling him stupid you don’t have respect for him or anyone else no matter what he did no matter what happened he still deserves respect he has passed away doesn’t mean you can talk bad about him or his decisions let him rest in peace you should probably learn something

21. common sense says:

Anonymous….for one as a parent, I wouldn’t allow my kids to drive if they didn’t respect their vehicle, or property of others. Plus, I’ve taught them to respect authority, cops, teachers, etc. IT’S CALLED PARENTING!!!!! KID’S BEHAVIORS ARE THE DIRECT RESULT OF THE PARENTING THEY RECEIVE AT HOME!!! I’ve done my job as a parent as my kids are grown…I like to think I have done a good job…they know, if you do stupid things or break the law…you have to pay the consequences. and learn from the mistakes they make. my kid or kids I promise you would never speed down a road like that!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks