Pedestrian hit by truck and killed July 4 in Marble Falls

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Thomas Pfeifer Jr., 33, of Cottonwood Shores

Thomas Pfeifer Jr., 33, of Cottonwood Shores

MARBLE FALLS — A 60-year-old Spring Branch woman died after a pickup truck struck her at about 10:50 p.m. July 4 in Marble Falls.

The Marble Falls Police Department reported that Cynthia Lee Young was hit by a 2013 Dodge pickup in the intersection of Yett and Main streets. Witnesses notified first responders who were at the Lakeside Park boat ramp due to the fireworks show.

Young, a Comal County Sheriff’s Office corrections officer, was transported by helicopter to Dell Seton Medical Center at the University of Texas in Austin, where she later died from her injuries.

Cynthia Lee Young was a corrections officer for the Comal County Sheriff's Office.

Cynthia Lee Young was a corrections officer for the Comal County Sheriff’s Office. Photo from Comal County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page

Police said the driver, 33-year-old Thomas Pfeifer Jr. of Cottonwood Shores, fled the scene, but witnesses identified him to police. Pfeifer later turned himself in to the Marble Falls Police Department. He was booked into the Burnet County Jail on the charge of leaving the scene of an accident causing death. He was being held on a $10,000 surety bond as of July 5.

Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to call the Marble Falls Police Department at (830) 693-3611.

editor@thepicayune.com

45 Responses to “Pedestrian hit by truck and killed July 4 in Marble Falls”

1. Doug Goree says:

I am not for sure about this, but pedestrians need to stop and look both ways before walking out into traffic. Here in Marble Falls, I constantly have people who just walk out into traffic. When I was a child, we were taught to stop look both ways and if there was no traffic coming to cross the street.
    I think that the law states, that vehicles must yield to pedestrians in a legal crosswalk. I for one will never take the chance and expect a vehicle to yield, no matter what.
    This is sad and a terrible tragedy. My prayers go out to the victim’s family.

• Autumn says:

From what I understand the guy ran a stop sign. He was at fault.

• Krista says:

Sir, please take down your comment. It’s completely not necessary. I understand your right of freedom of speech but please keep in mind this woman had a family. This isn’t the time for comments of that nature. Your last sentence will do just fine. Thank you.

• John d says:

Seriously? Even if the guy was at fault, it’s only common sense to look both ways. Never assume that just because you’re in the right that you shouldn’t proceed cautiously. This young lady’s death is a perfect reminder to take these things into consideration I feel for her family but this is a good time to take that lesson to Heart

• Dylan Young says:

He didnt even see the stop sign and as we were walking across the intersection there were no cars when we started walking across, he just cane out if no where. He turned to avoid hitting me, my gf, and my nephew and hit my mom. He saw what he did, got back in his truck, and sped off. Leaving my mom in a pool of her own blood.

• Lynda says:

Dylan, I’m so sorry for your loss. Your mom was a friend of mine. I worked with her at McKenna. She was a very kind and loving person.

• Marcella Taylor says:

Oh, dear, I am so sorry this happened and that you had to witness it. My warm thoughts are with you and your family.

• Jayana says:

I’m sorry Dylan i miss y’all so very much and I’m so sorry .

• Seth Spannaus says:

Dylan,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• Kristal Thomas says:

Sweetheart I’m so sorry, this breaks my heart. My prayers and love to your family!

• Sandra Ryle says:

Dylan, Preston and our family are devasted by the loss of your Mom. We share in your grief. Prayers for your family. She loved her family and furbabies. She was such a beautiful and loving soul.

• Scott Glazener says:

Such a tragedy…….
        May our good Lord God give your mother peace and her mansion with Him.
        May our same loving God show His love to the family members.
        I am so sorry for your loss.

• jessie slaten says:

Dylan, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m also sorry that your family had to witness the accident. No one will ever know exactly what you are going through right now. Please ignore comments that go against everything that you know and believe right now. People (like me) often just want to say something – so you know that we feel your pain. Or, often, we want to say something that could help prevent this type of tragedy from happening again- even though we don’t know all of the facts. Anyone that can do what this man did; see what they had done; then flee- has something very wrong with them. You can throw your hatred at him as needed; but, I hope you don’t let other people bother you. They usually mean well. I hope you find plenty of photos and memories to see you through. I said no one knows how you feel right now, and yet-we all know that pain.

• Lynda says:

Here’s a thought, How about NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!!

• Mustang says:

You would think if he was drunk driving, the would have charged him with something different. Maybe mfpd failed to do a sobriety test kinda like they failed to do when the guy ran over the cop on the lake a few yrs ago. Prayers to the family

• KMAYFYR says:

SO THEY FAILED TO DO A SOBRIETY TEST WHEN THE GUY RAN OVER THE COP ON THE LAKE??? IM NOT TOO SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FACTS REAL STRAIGHT WHAT SO EVER WITH THAT COMMENT. WHERE YOU PRESENT ON THE SCENE OF THAT ACCIDENT THAT 4TH OF JULY A FEW YRS AGO? I WAS!! SO YOU DO NOT INFACT KNOW WHETHER THIS IS A TRUE STATEMENT YOUR THROWING OUT THERE, I SUGGEST YOU NOT MAKE COMMENTS YOUR NOT SURE ARE TRUE. THIS IS A SAD SITUATION ALL THE WAY AROUND. AND VERY SAD THAT IT TOOK A PRECIOUS LIFE. PRAYERS TO ALL.

• Jamee says:

If you look in your drivers handbook, ou are responsible for making sure there are no pedestrians walking by at ANY TIME. Good job a looking like a total jerk.

• Jayana says:

Listen (censored) that was my grandma killed

• Sandra Ryle says:

Jayana, we are so sorry for your pain and loss. Preston is just devasted. Your other Grandma loves you Baby Girl.

• mike says:

Doug, from what I understand is that pedestrians have the right of way, period. You should also be driving with extreme caution in a city that is putting on a fireworks display as there will be many pedestrians about. I am sure that anyone who hits someone, gets back in their truck and flees is probably guilty of driving under the influence or he lacks basic components which separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom. How could you even begin to defend somebody who took off without even trying to render aid? He could care less about the person he hit, therefore I could care less about him. I hope the jurors nail him to the cross. This isn’t austin so i’m sure he’s going to get handed a nice sentence which will keep him off the roads for a while.

• Julie Prescott says:

Doug Goree, Let’s talk about your bike wreck in ’06. Who was at fault there? And by the looks of your Facebook page, you and Toby and her family would have probably been good friends, had you known each other. It’s too bad that you want to place blame on an innocent person like this. I hope you live a wonderful, fault-free life. Oh, wait…about that bike wreck in ’06?

• Julie Prescott says:

Oh, and Doug Goree, your FB intro says it all. “I am an arrogant, conceited, egotistical (censored)……tada…..”

• Julie Prescott says:

And in that case, you would have never been friends with her family. She was none of those things you claim to be.

• Kathy Perkins says:

We were in the middle of the crosswalk and he came out from around a corner never stopped at stop sign. Not seeing 4 adults and a child let alone the stop sign he blew right through. So unless you were there in the crosswalk to see the stop and look both ways would have done her no good at all but thanks for your advise. Not.

• Seth Spannaus says:

Doug,
      It would be a good idea to delete your comment.

• RUTH says:

Yes All that you said is true I have seen it many times people not looking and walking into traffic , especially now a days with cell phones . Im sure the witnesses can tell what happened for sure .But good advice just the same . Such a tragedy for this lady . My condolences to the family .

• John d says:

I agree with you Doug. This is so sad, but you can never take for granted that everyone is watching out for you. Watch out for yourself.

2. ROSEMARY says:

Toby was a good friend of mine she will be very missed and I am beyond heartbroken this is so sad my prayers and condolences go out to the family!!!

3. Reed says:

This is so very sad. Our hearts are heavy. Marble Falls will be praying over your family.

4. Ruben Loza says:

I remember this cat! He worked at PEC for years down around Canyon Lake. Heard he got some big office job or something with them. I guess it didn’t make him any smarter.

Shame some poor lady had to pay with her life because of his bad life choices. Right in front of the family too. Heart goes out to you my kenfolk. I lost my mother to a impaired driver as well.

5. Kathy says:

That bond is way to low for what he did. Judge needs to fix that.

6. Kristal Thomas says:

7. mike says:

Wonder if this is the same Gentlement, quite an extensive criminal background.
    FAILURE TO APPEAR(MC)
    RACING ON HIGHWAY(MT)
    24887
    PFEIFER, THOMAS JOSEPH, Jr
    11/17/1983
    07/22/2004
    07/22/2004
    Burnet County Sheriff’s Office
    POSS CS PG 1 >=4G=$1,500<$20K
    82573
    PFEIFER, THOMAS JOSEPH, Jr
    11/17/1983
    07/05/2017
    07/05/2017
    ACCIDENT INVOLVING DEATH (F2)(DC)

Go ahead Doug Goree make some more stupid comments!!

8. mike says:

8 arrests on record in burnet county

9. Preston Ryle says:

My Grandma was a very good animal keeper. She was really kind to me. She always sent me presents and she loved me so much. She cared when I lost my dog Lucy, she would believe that I would find Lucy. I LOVED HER VERY, VERY MUCH AND I REALLY, REALLY MISS HER.
    Your Grandson Preston.

• Loretta raper says:

This breaks my heart. People should always be cautious no matter where you are. Love and prayers.

10. B says:

Sorry for y’all’s loss all around. A family lost their mother, grandmother and a very good lady. Also, a family lost their dad, son and a very good guy. Everyone makes mistakes and I’m sure this wasn’t his intention at all. I understand that y’all are hurt by what has happened to your family by this mistake but remember you have to forgive in order to be forgiven by God. Praying for peace and healing for both families.

11. mike says:

umm, b he has been arrested 8 times, doesn’t seem like much of a mistake here. When you have 8 arrests that’s called a pattern of bad behavior. Let’s call him what he is, a POS. Glad he’s finally off the streets and I hope they throw the book at him for this. Not his first brush with the law and I guarantee not his list either. Enjoy your new accommodations.

• Nick Goad says:

Wow mike, I guess you have never been in any kind of trouble. Guess you can cast the first stone buddy! How about try you to forgive the man who made a horrible mistake and will have to live the rest of his life knowing what he did. You’re just making yourself sound like a hypocrite!

• Ambur S Wheatley says:

Did you actually look at the nature of the arrests? 2 were commitment orders, which means a crime wasn’t committed,it’s terms of probation. One arrest was for exhaust emmission, and the drug charge and racing on the highway was 13 years ago when he was 21 years old. Keep casting stones, I’m sure your closet clean.

12. Christopher Ryle says:

Dylan,

I can’t begin to tell you how much I loved your mother and how much she meant to me. She wasn’t just my mother-in-law. She was like another mother that I respected and cherished with every ounce of my heart. I am very proud to say that I got to be a part of the family. She always made me laugh and her voice always made me smile. She was so special that I’m proud to have been a part of her family. Marrying her daughter and having her grandson Preston will always be some of the most beautiful parts of my life and will always be a beautiful part of my memories. You guys will always be family to me. And please don’t you forget that. I just can’t believe that this has happened. But you are one young man that I’m proud to call my brother-in-law even still.
    You and Jacob will always be my brothers, and always will be a very cherished Uncle to Preston.
    I love you and in time we will get to a point to where we will remember how wonderful she was and less of how much we hurt right now.
    I will always be here for you if you ever need me.
    Jayana, You know me and Preston love you without end. I’m so sorry about your grandmother. Please call me if you need anything.

13. mike says:

To Nick & Amber, What kind of person runs someone over, get’s out, get’s back in truck and flees the scene of the crime? He’s nothing more than a coward!!

14. Crystal says:

He knew what he did and he made the choice to flee the secene. Hes a coward. But he probably had drugs in his truck and was probably drinking. I hope he gets what he deserves. Vehicular manslaughter is what he should be charged with. Especially since he stoped ,gotout, then got back in his truck and left. That right tgere is called a low life. I dont feel one bit sorry for him, i feel sorry for his family etc (kids).

Mike , Dylan much love to ya’ll.

15. Mary says:

He spent half a nite and jail and bonded out,yet my brother has to live the rest of his life without his wife?? How is that fair?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks