Local man dies after jumping from bluff into Lake Buchanan

STAFF WRITER CONNIE SWINNEY

The area of Lake Buchanan where Joshua Reid died is straddled by 20- to 30-foot bluffs and known for its idyllic views and quaint waterfalls. Staff photo by Jared Fields

LLANO COUNTY — A man’s death after jumping from a bluff into Lake Buchanan has prompted a cautionary note by water safety officials as people descend on the Highland Lakes this Fourth of July weekend.

The incident happened at about 3:45 p.m. June 25 on the upper end of Lake Buchanan near the confluence of Fall Creek and the Colorado River.

Joshua Reid, 39, of Burnet County was on an outing with friends when it occurred.

“He was swimming there and climbed up on the bluff or an elevated rock, jumped off, hit the water, may have surfaced for just a second, then went down,” said Texas Parks and Wildlife Game Warden Cody Hatfield. “His friends were not able to get to him. They called 9-1-1, who responded within minutes.”

The Buchanan Dam Volunteer Fire Department dive team recovered Reid’s body about two hours later in about 10-12 feet of water in the area where he went under.

A Llano County official has ordered an autopsy to determine the specific cause of death.

The area of the lake where the incident occurred is straddled by 20- to 30-foot bluffs and known for its idyllic views and quaint waterfalls.

“People jump off rocks, bluffs all the time,” Hatfield said. “That’s in an area of the river where there’s lots of debris. … It can fill up with gravel, logs.”

The dangers of jumping into waterways from heights of 20 feet or higher include:

• hazardous landing conditions caused by the changing landscape of a waterway’s floor;
  • stress and damage to the body such as compression of the spine, broken bones, or a concussion when landing in the water;
  • inexperience in the proper jumping technique, leading to potential body trauma (mastering the “pencil” entry with arms held tightly to one’s side, feet pressed together and pointed downward reduces some risk);
  • and challenging shoreline surfaces that threaten safe footing when exiting the water.

“Not saying he hit anything (after he jumped in), but … that’s always the danger when you jump from an elevated position — head first, feet first,” Hatfield said. “That’s part of the risk if you can’t see under the water.”

connie@thepicayune.com

14 Responses to “Local man dies after jumping from bluff into Lake Buchanan”

1. Kathy Reid says:

This is our son Joshua. While we don’t know what occurred, we would like to encourage anyone considering to jump or dive off these cliffs to reconsider. Joshua was an excellent swimmer and diver. Something went wrong. It could happen to anyone. Please, please think of your families before you try something this dangerous. You can’t take it back. This has changed our lives forever.

2. MICHAEL MITCHELL says:

Prayers for your family after this tragedy.

3. Mustang says:

Sounds to me like he shouldn’t have dove off those rocks.

• andrew brenneman says:

Mustang… that was my older brother you should really try and be respectful. Its really hard having lost one of the biggest role models in your life comments like that are not needed..

4. TM says:

Mustang don’t be an ass please… Kathy Reid as a parent we are never prepared for what your going through. My heart aches for you and your families loss. Sending prayers your way.

5. Karman Tindell says:

Hi Kathy. My heart goes out to you, Ali, and his two beautiful little girls. Please know that you are all covered in prayer.

6. Elizabeth Thomas says:

I dated Josh in highschool for a few years.. I have a piece of his jewelry, a few pictures and an old Florida highschool football Jersey if any of his family world like to have the items.. Josh was always kind and good hearted.. Such a big smile.. My thoughts are with his family at this horrible time

• Kathy Reid says:

Elizabeth, thank you reaching out to us. No we do not want those items. You should keep them to remember him in happy times.

His moms

• Elizabeth Thomas says:

This has really been weighing heavy on my mind.. Like I said we dated many years exclusively… Prom together, grew up together in many ways, of coarse drifting apart but more than anything Josh taught me a lot about trust and how a woman should be treated by a man… He was always so respectful, even as young stupid kids doing kid things josh was loyal, fun, caring, a great person.. He had such a good ear, he cared about peoples feelings, he loved whole heartidly… Loved his momma, his grandma, his family… He was a beautiful soul, I never contacted him over the years, we had both moved on in life, had families of our own, grew up… But you never forget your first love, and he was mine! I’ll never forget him… Josh made me realize that I could do anything even if I didn’t come from the best place… I spent 3 years as his girlfriend, but what I cherish most was just getting to be his friend.. If you change your mind about photos, please feel free to email me.. Iiwiiliz@yahoo.com
        I’ll always love him.. Always remember that smile and what a gentleman he always was.

7. Sherry McGuire says:

Mustang – I hope nobody is such an (censored) when God calls you home.

My sympathy to his family in your tragic loss.
    Sherry

8. Lawana Featherly Adams says:

My thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family., so very sorry for your loss. May God Bless you all🙏🏻❤️

Trackbacks/Pingbacks